New Nikon

PEL

Hello peoples - Nikonites!

Alright. So I already have a Nikon D90 that takes gorgeous pictures - that I share with my mum since I obviously couldn't afford a $1000+ camera myself (keep in mind I'm 17). Well it's great and all but there are some downsides to this camera:
1. I share it (but that can't really be changed...)
2. I can't always have my camera with me everywhere and anywhere that I want to go (it's big and bulky for a reason, I know, but it's not like I can just pull it out while biking or moving about on an adventure)

I want to get a smaller Nikon for that very reason. I go places where I don't want to bring a huge camera that can't fit in my purse, but I always want to take quality photos.
But I don't know much about the smaller - how do I say... to put it bluntly - cheaper Nikon cameras. I don't want a PowerShot or something like that. Just because. I want to have a camera that's smaller but still has the feel of a medium, interchangeable-lens camera - yet it would be kind of nice if there was still this option. Oh yeah, and for preferably under $400 CN. Hopefully this kind of makes sense?
This is almost like a riddle! - what type of Nikon camera would this be - a Nikon D3000, 1, or D800?

So can anyone help? Thanks!

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I paid I think 375 US dollars for a D5000 from KEH...it had about 5K actuations on it and was in basically mint condition...it is a camera that punches way above it's weight...it is fairly small and lightweight and it will mount just about any Nikkor F mount lens ever made...

BTW my D5K is close at hand no matter where I am at 95% of the time...the other 5% I usually have some other camera.... :)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Yeah, definitely look at a D3000 or D5000. I would get the D5000 just because it has video, and can be useful once in a while even though there is no auto-focus.

Not much difference in size between D90/D3100/D5000 etc particularly when you add the lens....perhaps you should be looking at 4/3 format .mirrorless have a look at Thom Hogan's mirrorless site but remember bigger is usually better ......APS ..35mm....6x6.... 5x4 etc 4/3 DX Fx medium format etc

PEL

Thanks for everyone's input! It's nice to know that you can bring your D5000 with you everywhere you go, Eye-level - that's what I want to be like! But it really does make sense pistnbroke that the body size of the camera wouldn't be too different between many of those cameras, and the lens just adds to that. So the newer 4/3 mirrorless have smaller bodies, is that so? I should look into that... Also, I looked around a bit and apparently the D3000 is quite great but has a poor ISO performance, producing some pretty grainy pictures at times... so I don't know. I guess something like that would be worth the price and to be able to bring it around with me.

emoxley

Yes, the 4/3 mirrorless cameras are smaller, and have interchangable lenses. But, I don't know that you'll find one in your listed budget.
Of course, you can buy a good shoulder strap, and the camera you have will hang down by your side, out of the way, and swing up for use when you need it. Shouldn't be a problem on a bike. Good luck!

PEL

I'll keep looking into nice, smaller cameras... again, thanks everyone!

But since it was my birthday yesterday I was given a Nikon CoolPix L310 - nice and it's tiny! it's hard getting used to it and kind of going backwards when it comes down to cameras and such, the focus is a bit tricky and there isn't a manual setting so you have to fidgit with settings, but it's alright.

Actually we're looking into getting a macro lens for our D90 - any ideas on what we should try getting? (- the prices don't really matter, we know it'll be plenty expensive)

Eye-level

Banned
Happy birthday PEL! Sounds like someone loves you and is trying to nourish your interest in photography.

I hope you will learn to fully exploit the capabilities of your new gift! I know it will make great snaps if you just take your time with it.

It would have been nice to have received the P310 but the L310 has its charms as well namely reach...

Let us see some snaps!

PEL

Aww! Thank you so much! I really hope I can learn to handle it well, but after all, I've only had it for about two days - there's loads of time.
I agree, the P310 would be better, and it looks pretty nifty as well :p
But I am grateful as well for what I have received, and I'll upload any good shots I have soon! :D

PEL

Thank you emoxley! That looks quite good, the sample photos that they provide are quite outstanding too. So the Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens does have the VC! I think that would be worth paying the price for, if it can give you better photos and make the whole process easier. I'll look in to it!

Last edited:

PEL

Also, to do with the Nikon L310 that I got - I'm starting to get frustrated with it. I don't know if it's because I'm using it wrong, if I'm just used to the better quality DSLR's / mirrored cameras or if there's something wrong with the camera. It's just annoying. I'm trying to be grateful for my gift but if it doesn't work... I might have to replace it :( Let me try to show you:

1. Direct sunlight or something makes streaks instead of the typical sunspots from lens flare:
DSCN0085.JPG
2. The settings get to me. Either the pictures get all streaky, grainy and gross or they can turn out alright (like the ones I'll post in my gallery), but only if you are absolutely still - the focus takes forever to work and it's not really great for "snap-shots" on the move.
3. Also, I know there isn't a filter or anything, but it makes objects - or things like flowers have a "shine" when in real life there isn't.
4. If you use the wrong setting - like I used a "moving object" setting accidentally for a landscape of a river - it turns out to be utter crap, and the quality is like cellphone camera quality. This doesn't really make sense to me, as it also makes things blurry and grainy when shouldn't it be making things clearer, such as the moving water?

I don't know what to do - I wanted to post more photos here of what I really mean but there's a limit :/

emoxley

Thank you emoxley! That looks quite good, the sample photos that they provide are quite outstanding too. So the Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens does have the VC!
Yes, but Nikon calls it VR (Vibration Reduction). Tamron calls it VC (Vibration Compensation). I've read where a lot of people like Tamron's VC better than Nikon's VR. My Nikkor 18-105mm lens has VR, and the VC on my Tamron 70-300mm is much better.

About the streaks in your sky picture........
Is the streaks on all your pictures? If so, I'd take it back. It looks like a bad sensor cleaning job, from the factory or where ever it was done. Probably easy to fix, but that's beside the point. I don't know about you, but I hate to send a brand new product of any kind, back to the factory for repairs or other service. When brand new, nothing should need to be done for a long time. But that's just me............ Good luck!

fotojack

Yup. take it back to be replaced. Looks like a faulty sensor to me. Bring a picture with you to show the salesman or whoever what you're talking about. And don't let them talk you into getting it fixed! Get a new one! There's no reason for your pictures to turn out like that.

PEL

Yes, but Nikon calls it VR (Vibration Reduction). Tamron calls it VC (Vibration Compensation). I've read where a lot of people like Tamron's VC better than Nikon's VR. My Nikkor 18-105mm lens has VR, and the VC on my Tamron 70-300mm is much better.
So.. do the VR and the VC have the same function? I wonder why the VC on your lens works better then? But I'll look into that Tamron one, it seems worth it.
And you're all right - I need to get it replaced! But, the question still remains; what should I replace it with?

PEL

Yup. take it back to be replaced. Looks like a faulty sensor to me. Bring a picture with you to show the salesman or whoever what you're talking about. And don't let them talk you into getting it fixed! Get a new one! There's no reason for your pictures to turn out like that.
So even if I'm going to replace it I should still go to the sales person - I guess they might give me a refund or something? And yes, I want to get a new one.
Also, the 'photos' in your signature (I think?) don't show up. Just saying...

emoxley

So.. do the VR and the VC have the same function? I wonder why the VC on your lens works better then? But I'll look into that Tamron one, it seems worth it.
And you're all right - I need to get it replaced! But, the question still remains; what should I replace it with?
Yes, VR and VC serve the same function. Different companies can't call it the same thing, because you get into copyright territory then. The Nikon VR motor is quieter than Tamron's VC motor, but the VC motor does better at holding the image still, at least on my two lenses. Why is VC motor better? I have no idea. I don't know how they're built. I just use them. :D
I'd replace the camera with another one like it. You must like it to have bought it. If a second camera does the same thing, then I'd get a different model.
Good luck!