New D400 Rumors!

Eye-level

Banned
You know I think most of us on this forum are not really bird and wildlife, sports action, etc types of photogs and that is the kind of photographer that NEEDS the DX camera body (unless they are just filthy rich and can afford the fast long lenses)...I'm not saying everyone on the forum because there are a few wildlife sports action type folks eg. Sam, Kim20, Pierro, and then there are the cross pollinators who do a little bit of everything...

I sort of feel if you are making shots of people, cars, trains, waterfalls, buildings, etc then FX is the way to go because most of that stuff is made with the normal and wide and short tele lens...

I sincerely hope the 600 comes in at that price because if it does it is going to be hard to pass it up...at least for me...

Rick M

I agree Jeff, My style is more landscape and stationary subjects, Fx is the way to go. But, besides waiting to see what the new offering is, the size difference is a drawback, I really like the compact size of Dx. I'm hoping the D600 breaks the size barrier even more than just the price barrier.

Eye-level

Banned
Which brings something to mind...is the D7K bigger than the D51K? I would guess if the camera body has an AF motor built in than it would be...this may make the 600 larger as well...I already know it is going to be heavy.

Another point about the benefits DX provides for action/wildlife type photogs...lightness! They can get by with a 300mm which is smaller and lighter than say a 500mm...

Rick M

Yes D7000 is slightly bigger. I like the D5100 but it is really small, I'm thinking the D7000 body would be about a perfect size, just need to sqeeze an Fx sensor in it!

Rick M

Yea my 70-300 is 450mm on my D5100 body, definitely a plus for Dx, this is why it's such a tough decision, even without $$ as an issue.

Rick M

I think as much, if not more than the D800, the pixel density will be even tighter on the D400 than the D800. Approximately equivalent to a 48MP Fx sensor. Faster shutter speeds for sure on hand held shots!

eurotrash

Good point there, Jeff. I'm wondering if that will be an issue as well. If that's the case, pass for me. People just can't be expected to carry a tripod all over the place. It's hard enough getting into some places as it is!

Rick M

We should start seeing more user reviews on the D3200, with the same sensor, We'll have an idea on what to expect in a D400.

Eye-level

Banned
It sort of seems to me that Nikon is not really putting forth a lot of effort in upgrading the D300 line. The D300 has been around forever and follows a great line of robust upper end bodies...now you have this D400 upgrade which is probably a very robust body but they are putting entry level sensor technology in it...it is like they don't care, they are marking time, or they have something else up their sleeve concerning product alignment.

Rick M

Some folks feel that the current sensor technology has reached a peak. They have reached the point of just trying to cram more into existing tech. Historically, when this happens, new tech emerges because this peak has been reached. I think in less than 10 years, "pixels" will be old tech, plasma or some other fluid sensor will emerge.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Rick- forget about the D400 for now. This is more appealing and it has the latest and greatest. Cheaper than the D800.

From Nikon Rumors.

Nikon-D600-font.jpg