Check this out!!!!

grandpaw

I took this picture in almost no light and I shot it handheld at the settings below. The picture isn't great and the white balance is not right but check out the settings this HANDHELD picture was taken at. I must say that I am a happy grandpaw. It was dark enough in the room that I could not see the letters on the base by just looking at it with just my eyes, Jeff

Remember the quality of this picture was cut down considerably before I posted it.

ISO 3200
F stop 5.6
Shutter speed 1/8 sec Handheld

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-200VR F2.8 lens
Nikon 20E III teleconver
ter _DSC5193.jpg

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
You could have went 2.8 and maybe 30 I bet at that ISO...it is really not that surprising considering the lens and the low light capabilities of the D7K... :)

grandpaw

You could have went 2.8 and maybe 30 I bet at that ISO...it is really not that surprising considering the lens and the low light capabilities of the D7K... :)

You missed the whole point of the post! First of all the fastest I can shoot with a F2.8 lens with a 2x teleconverter on it is F5.6 because you loose two stops by adding a TC on it. To shoot a 200mm telephoto lens by itself handheld at 1/8 sec is amazing, much less when you add a 2x TC on with it and still be able to shoot it at 1/8 sec and it come out this clear. I wasn't trying to take a shot I intended to keep, I was just trying to see how slow a shutter speed I could handhold this combination at. That is why I didn't worry about white balance or doing any adjustments to it, I wanted to show what it looked like straight out of the camera. The point of the post I was trying to demonstrate was shooting a 200mm telephoto lens with a 2x converter on it handheld at a very slow shutter speed and still get the picture, Jeff

Last edited:

grandpaw

impressive results, can tell you like that TC.... Mr Steady hands!

It was just delivered yesterday and this is the first time I have owned a TC. I think with a little practice it is going to be a great addition to my lens collection. My wife and I are leaving Friday on vacation and hope to get an opportunity to get real acquainted with it, Jeff

grandpaw

Here's a dumb question, but what's the 20E III teleconver for?

First of all Jon there are no dumb questions. Any time you don't know something there are a lot more people that also do not know but are afraid to ask. By posting your question not only you can learn but so can many others that didn't know, so ask away.

I can place it between my lens and the camera and it doubles the reach of the telephoto lens bringing everything twice as close as it would be without it. It turns my 200mm lens into a 400mm lens and with the 1.5 crop factor of the sensor that gives me the equivalent of a 600mm lens as compared to a film camera, Jeff

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
I think he was implying that Jeff must have made himself very strong somehow in his younger days (which in turn made him steady and solid as a rock) in order to be able to handhold such a slow shutter speed...note how the poster said it was a good shot...

It is a rather remarkable shake factor...that is way down there in rangefinder land...

grandpaw

I think he was implying that Jeff must have made himself very strong somehow in his younger days (which in turn made him steady and solid as a rock) in order to be able to handhold such a slow shutter speed...note how the poster said it was a good shot...

It is a rather remarkable shake factor...that is way down there in rangefinder land...

That is probably what they meant but it didn't make a lot of sense to me when I read it. By the way I have actually taken pictures at one full second handheld without any support, so I do have fairly steady hands, Jeff

Dooku77

That is probably what they meant but it didn't make a lot of sense to me when I read it. By the way I have actually taken pictures at one full second handheld without any support, so I do have fairly steady hands, Jeff

If u were to do that I would have the blurriest images known to mankind, unless I have 3 cups of coffee first

Mestre

Didn't mean to be disrespectul, just commenting on the weight if the set (70-200 included) and the strengh to keep it stable at 1/8.
On the other hand, it's really disapointing to have a ban threat just because words were misunderstood. One knows how to manage it's own house, there's no need to ban just say and I leave.

Guess the humor on the other side of the atlantic Is as low as the stock market in europe.

grandpaw

Didn't mean to be disrespectul, just commenting on the weight if the set (70-200 included) and the strengh to keep it stable at 1/8.
On the other hand, it's really disapointing to have a ban threat just because words were misunderstood. One knows how to manage it's own house, there's no need to ban just say and I leave.

Guess the humor on the other side of the atlantic Is as low as the stock market in europe.

When I read it , it just didn't have any idea what you were talking about and that is why I ask. Now I know and as far as I am concerned everything is just fine and you are right about the weight, this combination is fairly heavy and to make it worse I also have a battery grip on my camera. This is something that most people just would not want to carry around for long. Again as far as I am concerned, all is well and have a great day, Jeff

Frankly I dont see anything special about this at all ..its a VR lens for gods sake so thats worth 3 to 4 stops so 1/15 is really 1/125 if you were shooting weddings in dark 13th century churches you would be doing this every day...no big deal

grandpaw

Frankly I dont see anything special about this at all ..its a VR lens for gods sake so thats worth 3 to 4 stops so 1/15 is really 1/125 if you were shooting weddings in dark 13th century churches you would be doing this every day...no big deal

Why don't you help me out by showing everyone that this can be done and that there is nothing special about this at all. Just to prove it why don't you post one of your pictures shot at 200mm at a shutter speed of 1/8 sec like mine was shot at. Then after you do that grab a 400mm lens (which would be the equivalent of the 200mm with a 2x TC on it like I used) and take another picture with the 400mm at 1/8 sec and post them both for us to see. Remember to take these handheld without a tripod or any support. I'm looking forward to viewing your pictures and helping me show that this can be done.
Jeff

JoeLewisPhotography

... if you were shooting weddings in dark 13th century churches you would be doing this every day...no big deal

You would also be the worlds worst wedding photographer. If you are shooting a wedding at 1/8 of a second in poorly lit areas, I pretty much guarantee you would not have 1 usable image. If you knew what you were doing, you would use a speed light

This better not have been a disparaging comment against Jeff. If it was, you will be banned! Please explain what you meant by your statement.

This was a bit premature...

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel ....wake up flash is not allowed in 99% of UK churches and not really neccessary..just set the iso auto to 800-6400 and blast away.
th point I was making is that what an amataur does once and thinks is fantastic a professional does every day and does not even think about it ....

If jeoff wants to try shaking his VR lens whilst he takes the photo he will find it still comes out shake free ....thrown me tripod ..love that VR