D7000 for Video of upcoming event

Dooku77

Hello all. I have a couple of really big Brazilian Jiu Jitsu events coming up and I wanted to catch most of the content on video. I have 2 sandisk 32gb class 10 30mb/s cards. I was just looking for feedback from anyone who has successfully covered an event or gathering with mostly video

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would personally get or rent a dedicated video for that if you don't need the quality of the D7000. There are limitations to the video with dslrs and specially with what you want to record, smaller video sensors and their smallers lenses will give you more depth of field for this event. These were made just for this application.

Just my 2 cents.

Dooku77

I would personally get or rent a dedicated video for that if you don't need the quality of the D7000. There are limitations to the video with dslrs and specially with what you want to record, smaller video sensors and their smallers lenses will give you more depth of field for this event. These were made just for this application.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish I could get a camcorder but I don't know anyone that has one. I thought about the point and shoot route but then I figured I could dial my camera back to 720p at 30fps so I could post some stuff on YouTube.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I tried to record some video with a d7000 at an indoor event. The autofocus is a bit quirky. The speed of it will depend on the lens. Try playing with the different AF settings. Definitely use a monopod or tripod.

Dooku77

I tried to record some video with a d7000 at an indoor event. The autofocus is a bit quirky. The speed of it will depend on the lens. Try playing with the different AF settings. Definitely use a monopod or tripod.

I've practiced a bit Doug manual focus and I like it a lot plus the focus motor plays back very loudly. I definately plan on using a tripod for one of the events.

I've practiced a bit Doug manual focus and I like it a lot plus the focus motor plays back very loudly. I definately plan on using a tripod for one of the events.

Sorry that's suppose to say "doing" not Doug lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Dooku77

I have been studying video DSLR things lately and one interesting angle that I have come upon amongst some video short shooters is using a Leitax Leica R type lens to F mount convertor or to Canon mount...apparently there is some vintage effect imparted to the look of the video that is very desirable...Leica R type lenses are high dollar...

Check this out...

2 Years of Summer - Sci-Fi 48 Hour Film Challenge 2011 - YouTube

DSLR video is something that is interesting to me. If you have a chance also go onto YouTube and look up a video called "Benevolent Mischief". It's shot with the Nikon D7000. I like the video you posted. That lens combo makes it look nostalgic at times.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hello all. I have a couple of really big Brazilian Jiu Jitsu events coming up and I wanted to catch most of the content on video. I have 2 sandisk 32gb class 10 30mb/s cards. I was just looking for feedback from anyone who has successfully covered an event or gathering with mostly video

I have been using my D7000 to cover my daughter's school band concert and to me it works well. I use an external mic (Nikon ME-1), and shoot manually. M mode, ISO 640 - 1000 (average), f2.8 or whatever fast lens that you have, 1/60. Keep the mic setting in "auto". You can decide the resolution but the 1080p 24fps works very well for me. The camera has 29min 59 sec limit on video so it doesn't really matter if you put a 16mp or higher. Once the 30min limit is reached, simply remove that card and install a new one.

I use a tripod of course and focus manually. If your lens has a M/AF switch, keep it in manual and turn "off" VR. This will also minimize your battery power use. Otherwise the lens might hunt and will create noise which can be recorded in the video.

D7k video rig by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Here is a sample video that I took with the D7000

Last edited:

Dooku77

I have been using my D7000 to cover my daughter's school band concert and to me it works well. I use an external mic (Nikon ME-1), and shoot manually. M mode, ISO 640 - 1000 (average), f2.8 or whatever fast lens that you have, 1/60. Keep the mic setting in "auto". You can decide the resolution but the 1080p 24fps works very well for me. The camera has 29min 59 sec limit on video so it doesn't really matter if you put a 16mp or higher. Once the 30min limit is reached, simply remove that card and install a new one.

I use a tripod of course and focus manually. If your lens has a M/AF switch, keep it in manual and turn "off" VR. This will also minimize your battery power use. Otherwise the lens might hunt and will create noise which can be recorded in the video.

D7k video rig by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Here is a sample video that I took with the D7000

That's a great quality video and set up. How did you get yours to record up to 29 minutes? Mine counts down from 20 minutes. I've only done video in auto mode so I'll give manual a try today.

you certainly dont want a ball head tripod as your pans will all be horizontal..so a head with a little stiction in the pan and ability to lock the tilt via the handle is what you want ..one hand for the handle one for the focus and one for the tilt ......ahhhh thats 3 then

Dooku77

you certainly dont want a ball head tripod as your pans will all be horizontal..so a head with a little stiction in the pan and ability to lock the tilt via the handle is what you want ..one hand for the handle one for the focus and one for the tilt ......ahhhh thats 3 then

That's 3 hands, this is getting a little interesting. I was getting ready to purchase a new tripod and this is good info.

normally for video you want a tripod head where you can apply a little drag to the left right pan. The up down tilt needs to be locked with rotation of the handle or have sufficient drag so you can just let go ....

for photography I perfer the Manfrotto 222 ball head but I am not using tripod much now with the advent of VR and the tripod is a little restrictive even for groups at weddings if you see a shot within the group ...move zoom and head too slow shot has gone ( of the page boy with his finger up his nose etc)

Dooku77

For one event I am going to I am going to use the tripod for group photos and some video from a distance. The other event I am going to will be all free hand because I want to be able to cover all the action up close.