Blue Heron

grandpaw

I shot this with my D90 and Nikon 70-300VR lens. All comments or suggestions welcome, Jeff

Attachments

• _DSC2482.jpg
    _DSC2482.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Nicely caught. Love the guy's expression. It seems to be pretty stubborn. Great light.

Pierro

The detail is lovely - superb !

My only crit would be give left or right facing subjects some ' space ' to look into, otherwise they appear to be cramped by the side of the photo frame.

Example - hope you dont mind, but this is the easiest way to show that when the bird looks into ' space ' , it makes for a more pleasant uncramped composition

23uy59l.jpg

grandpaw

The detail is lovely - superb !

My only crit would be give left or right facing subjects some ' space ' to look into, otherwise they appear to be cramped by the side of the photo frame.

Example - hope you dont mind, but this is the easiest way to show that when the bird looks into ' space ' , it makes for a more pleasant uncramped composition

23uy59l.jpg

Thanks for both your comment and suggestion, I appreciate your input, Jeff

ohkphoto

Snow White
This is a nice capture. Should he not be more blue? We have them here, too, and they truly are blue and show up blue in my photos. Is he really gray, or did you post-process him to be gray?

grandpaw

This is a nice capture. Should he not be more blue? We have them here, too, and they truly are blue and show up blue in my photos. Is he really gray, or did you post-process him to be gray?

Thanks for taking a look and asking but the Heron looks just exactly the same as when I took the picture. I did not change the colors at all, Jeff

Last edited:

grandpaw

That Heron is the exact same colour as our UK Grey Heron, dont know why its called a Blue Heron abroad

I can't answer that question but if you put "Blue Heron" in Google images you will see some blue one probably like you have and several that look just like the one in my picture, Jeff

Pierro

Yeah i did a bit of searching, and found them to be almost identical, but there are some minor differences, like size for a start. Your US Blue is a bit bigger than our Grey. Apparently, the Blue is a rare migrant to the UK, which i didnt know. We see lots of Greys here, but I've never seen a Blue

slowpoke

Thanks for the complement! I noticed you shoot with a D90. Don't know if you checked but that picture was shot with my D90. Jeff
Complements are deserving,and your pictures are very deserving.
I did notice you shot this one with the D90.Unfortunately my pic's are nowhere near your quality.But I will keep trying lol.I can hardly wait to see the Gator Boys' Pic's:D

grandpaw

Complements are deserving,and your pictures are very deserving.
I did notice you shot this one with the D90.Unfortunately my pic's are nowhere near your quality.But I will keep trying lol.I can hardly wait to see the Gator Boys' Pic's:D

I went over and checked out the location today and I am not sure what position I will be able to get into with the spectators being there. Animal Planet will also be filming and it is not a very big location. Depending on where they can fit me in I will be somewhere between about 6ft to 30ft away. I plan on having my Sigma AF 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM OS on my D7000 for most of the shots and my D90 with my Nikon 70-200 VR F2.8 on it for the rest. May have to swap lenses on the cameras depending on what distance I end up at. There will be a lot going on in a little space so I hope I can manage to get some good pictures. Should have some pictures posted Sun. or Mon.
Jeff