What software?

simonhodge

I am sorry if this as be asked before but you will all know how long it can take to find specific answers sometime.

I currently have PSE 7 i think it is but with just ordering a new laptop i want to get some new software to speed up my post processing. I have never used lightroom but it looks like it would be good and i can see its very popular. It is also looking like i may be able to get PS5 and hopefully eventually PS6 free through my work. I guess my main usage will be for post processing and some "tweeking" but i really need lessons on PS. Is PS going to do my job or would i be better having lightroom or do i really need both?

Thanks

Simon

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Lightroom is an image catalog system that can make non-destructive changes to your images regardless of whether they are RAW, JPG, TIFF, etc. Photoshop makes permanent (or destructive) edits to files just like PSE7. The advantage of Lightroom (or Aperture) is that they can manage your files as well as provide post processing features. Especially with Lightroom 4, I personally find my need to use the full blown Photoshop dwindling. The nice thing about Lightroom is that you can configure it to use external editors like Elements, Photoshop or others while maintaining a catalog or index. My suggestion is to download the 30-day trial of Lightroom and see if it meets your needs before investing in other software.