D800 vs. D800E

bluenoser

Banned
dpreview just updated their review to include a more detailed comparison of the D800 vs. D800E. A brief excerpt of their conclusion below indicates some interesting findings:

Most of our direct comparisons between the D800 and D800E were made from their respective Raw output, but as you'll see from our JPEG comparisons and from our image quality comparison pages the D800E's JPEG output is significantly superior to the D800's at optimal aperture settings. Not only do the D800E's JPEGs look sharper at default settings, they contain noticeably more detail - something that will be very attractive to casual photographers that want to save storage space on cards and hard drives, but also to professionals that want better looking JPEG 'proofs'. Even in our F16 comparison images the D800E's JPEGs appear 'better' although close inspection reveals that they are no more detailed.
LINK

And their final word for those that are trying to decide between the two cameras:

Ultimately then, if you're weighing up the D800 and D800E, in our opinion there is no obvious downside to opting for the more expensive model beyond the extra cost.

What do you D800 owners think of this? Are there any D800E owners out there? Anyone still undecided between these 2 cameras? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)

AC016

I watched a comparison review on Digi Rev TV and apparently the "E" stands for Extorsion, lol:p After watching the review, i would have to agree.

stmv

If you are having buyers remorse, get in line for a D800e, compare for two months, if the D800e really stand out, just ebay the D800 for the same price you got your list price D800e. I am happy enough with the results of the D800, and sometimes find the image almost too crisp (if that makes sense).