Help, blurry viewfinder

_AnGeL_

Hey guys,

Long story short, I went out of town and I took my camera with me. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I used ti fine one day and the next the view finder was out of focus. I tried adjust the dioptre to no avail.

I read online that moisture can become trapped in the viewfinder? I don't know what to do, and I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas.

Thanks!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is the focus motor doing it's job? Do you hear the lens focusing when you try to take a shot? Could the lens have been set to manual focus accidentally?
Have a look at these first. I doubt that moisture could have done that so fast unless the camera was subjected to rather severe temperature conditions.
Let us know what you find.

_AnGeL_

Are you sure its condensation ? That would genraly clear up as it reaches room temprature.

I'm not sure at all actually. It is getting progressively better though.

Is the focus motor doing it's job? Do you hear the lens focusing when you try to take a shot? Could the lens have been set to manual focus accidentally?
Have a look at these first. I doubt that moisture could have done that so fast unless the camera was subjected to rather severe temperature conditions.
Let us know what you find.

Yes, it is focusing. I have snapped ~600 pictures with the blurry viewfinder and the pics come out just fine.

fotojack

Are you sure you didn't accidentally touch the viewfinder with your finger? Oil from your skin could "fog up" the tiny lens of your viewfinder. Perhaps it just needs a good cleaning. Just throwin' stuff out there for ya. :)

westmill

Banned
It only happens when transfering the camera from extreme differing tempratures.
Ive known people put there cameras into glove boxes in cars, which can get rather hot inside and then
take them outside in the cold. That kind of thing will cause it.
It will clear in its own time. Using a hair dryer etc could make it worse.
If you live in humid conditions It could be a good idea to keep a few silica gel sachets in your camera bag.

eurotrash

^this. I always take the ones I get with shoes and throw them in the dark recesses of my bags. ALL my bags, not just camera ones! Guitar cases, camera bags, packs I use for hiking, all kinds of purposes for those little guys. Just be sure to taste test them to make sure they're OK :p

_AnGeL_

It wasn't condensation. I had to end up sending it in to Nikon for repair. Parts had to be replaced according to the warranty receipt. All is good now.