Lens selection questions for balloon ride

streetglideok

Hopefully this is in the right section. My mother-inlaw gave us tickets for a balloon ride next week here in Colorado. Right now, I have a D3100, with the kit lens 18-55. Obviously we want to get pics, alot of pics if we can of the mountains, etc. Am I heading in the right direction by thinking I need a wide angle lens like the nikkor 12-24, or something similar?

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there.

Well I'll tell you straight off that I'm terrified of heights so I'll admit to never having been on a balloon ride! :)

However, I would be inclined to do just the opposite of what you're considering and take a longer reach lens. Ideally you'd like to bring along 1 wider angle lens (your 18-55 would be fine) and another with far more reach to get tighter shots of the mountains and the interesting terrain features. If you are taking off in the wee-hours of the morning, then light will be a challenge and you'll need a faster lens than your 18-55 (or you'll certainly need a flash at that hour). Also - I'm not sure how many people are going on that balloon ride but I've read that for photographers - either be one of the first ones in or the last ones in so you can guarantee a spot along the edge of the basket for the best shooting vantage point! :)

Have fun!

westmill

Banned
I would have to agree with bluenoser here. A wide might be useful before the flight itself lol I would expect they will release the rope at some point though :D The standard and 50-200 or 300 would be far more useful. It should be fun and very memrable experiance. Have a great day and
a safe landing :D

streetglideok

Have a 70-300mm lense coming for the trip, and some other pics over the weekend. Only worry now is the arkansas fire burning east of where we are supposed to lift off at. Hopefully things will go according to plan.

TedG954

A picture focused upward, while hanging from the underside of the basket, would be a great shot..... as long as you can operate your camera with one hand.

streetglideok

Well, the balloon flight was cancelled this am due to unfavorable wind conditions. Bad enough that we have a new forest fire not far from where we were to launch. We did get some pictures though, and got away from the fire in one piece.

bluenoser

Banned
Sorry to hear about your balloon ride cancellation. Hopefully it will be rescheduled soon.

Glad that you got away from the fire safely.

Stangman98

Well, the balloon flight was cancelled this am due to unfavorable wind conditions. Bad enough that we have a new forest fire not far from where we were to launch. We did get some pictures though, and got away from the fire in one piece.

Sorry to hear about the cancellation. Make sure to stay safe though!

I know, I am very late to the discussion. But for future inquiries about balloon ride shooting, I have found that after quite a few balloon rides, that my 24-120 (full frame) glass is all that is needed.

Is yours Z 24-120?
No. F mount 24-120 f/4 VR glass. On the first balloon and helicopter rides, I brought the 70-200 glass too, but never used it. The 24-120 easily covers all of it. However, I did use the 20mm prime for a few snaps in the helicopters.

Balloon 2 resized.jpeg

Balloon 4.jpeg
Balloon #1.jpg
Balloon #2.jpg

Balloon-resized.jpeg

Last edited: