How to tell if I have a good working model

Dooku77

Hello all. Well these last couple days I have been snapping random pics of everything and at a bday party. I was wondering the folks out there that have the "good" working bodies out of the box, how did you know this. The reason I was asking was because I had to fine time my lens -4 for back focus at the widest aperture. My camera has a very hard time focusing in live view when lighting conditions are low. I want to make sure I don't have a problematic camera and was wondering of the community could give me some feed back. I haven't experienced the terrible back focus issue I've read about these last few weeks. I shoot in aperture priority and have single focus point set.

Dooku77

I should also mention that the battery that came with it did not fall under the recall so I'm assuming that this is a new batch of cameras.

Dooku77

Another reason I ask this is because I was going to take a picture of a flower while facing the sun and in direct sunlight my lens was hunting to focus.

westmill

Banned
Live veiw uses contrast focussing so low light is often a problem so you should seek areas of high contrast for it
to enable accurate focussing. in good light, live veiw is very accurate indeed.
Im often wary of back and front focussing issues. More often than not I find its more user error than camera fault.
one thing I often find, is when using a single point is how a lot of people take there focus and recompose the shot.
If using a wide aprature especialy, just the act of recomposing the camera can be enough to get the camera away from spot on focus. Other issues can be a lot of zooms suffer from a curved focus feild etc.
One of the biggest culprits of people thinking they have back or front focussing issues is down to the size of the focus points. Ive tested a few cameras for this, but unfortunately Ive not tested a D7000. Ive tested the D300 and D700 and a D3s and a pentax K5. The pentax K5 is a prime example for this. the K5 is known widely for having back to front focussing problems. Its actualy nothing more than the size of the focus sensors. The Nikon sensors have all coresponded to the little red squares very accurately. The snsors on the K5 are simply huge though and are about 8 times the size of the Nikons. They are that big on the K5 you can think your foccussing on an eye for example, but
the sensor can easily pick up on the ear or even nose ( hence front or back focus thoughts ).
You can easily check the size of your sensors by putting a dot in the middle of a peice of A4 paper. The camera will hunt until it hits the focus point. If it falls into line with the likes Of the D300 etc I would expect them to be fine and be
the same size as the red focus square. It may be fine, but its worth checking. Its also possable they could be out of line even if they are small. IE not quite coresponding with the focus squares.

Dooku77

Live veiw uses contrast focussing so low light is often a problem so you should seek areas of high contrast for it
to enable accurate focussing. in good light, live veiw is very accurate indeed.
Im often wary of back and front focussing issues. More often than not I find its more user error than camera fault.
one thing I often find, is when using a single point is how a lot of people take there focus and recompose the shot.
If using a wide aprature especialy, just the act of recomposing the camera can be enough to get the camera away from spot on focus. Other issues can be a lot of zooms suffer from a curved focus feild etc.
One of the biggest culprits of people thinking they have back or front focussing issues is down to the size of the focus points. Ive tested a few cameras for this, but unfortunately Ive not tested a D7000. Ive tested the D300 and D700 and a D3s and a pentax K5. The pentax K5 is a prime example for this. the K5 is known widely for having back to front focussing problems. Its actualy nothing more than the size of the focus sensors. The Nikon sensors have all coresponded to the little red squares very accurately. The snsors on the K5 are simply huge though and are about 8 times the size of the Nikons. They are that big on the K5 you can think your foccussing on an eye for example, but
the sensor can easily pick up on the ear or even nose ( hence front or back focus thoughts ).
You can easily check the size of your sensors by putting a dot in the middle of a peice of A4 paper. The camera will hunt until it hits the focus point. If it falls into line with the likes Of the D300 etc I would expect them to be fine and be
the same size as the red focus square. It may be fine, but its worth checking. Its also possable they could be out of line even if they are small. IE not quite coresponding with the focus squares.

Thank you very much for responding. I was just hoping it wasn't the camera. I absolutely love this camera and don't want to give it up. I took a few more shots outdoors and I had the lens hunting when the sun was directly in the lens.

westmill

Banned
Again, having the sun on the lens will take away contrast making it difficult for the camera to focus.
Its not impossable for the camera to be out or faulty. Just unlikely. Better to check your shooting habbits first.
If your shooting portraits for example and using a single point and your shooting in vertical mode, choose a higher focus point etc. Check the size of your sensors and know exactly where they are. If they are missaligned you can take the camera for recalibration or use it as it is knowing the focus points sit just under or over your squares depending on your findings. Does it happen only at the wide angle settings only ? that would point towards the lens suffering from feild curvature. I should try and look at all these things before you go about altering your fine focus.
and your very welcome :D

Dooku77

Again, having the sun on the lens will take away contrast making it difficult for the camera to focus.
Its not impossable for the camera to be out or faulty. Just unlikely. Better to check your shooting habbits first.
If your shooting portraits for example and using a single point and your shooting in vertical mode, choose a higher focus point etc. Check the size of your sensors and know exactly where they are. If they are missaligned you can take the camera for recalibration or use it as it is knowing the focus points sit just under or over your squares depending on your findings. Does it happen only at the wide angle settings only ? that would point towards the lens suffering from feild curvature. I should try and look at all these things before you go about altering your fine focus.
and your very welcome :D

Let me see if i can post a couple now. It says my files are to big.

Dooku77

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339375149.779354.jpg