Nikon D7000 Battery Life

Mikeydigs

I have a D7000 that was purchased in Dec 2010 , my camera and battery are aprox a year and a half old, lately my battery life seems to be short. I keep changing my settings all the time, so Im not sure if I have some setting that is more of a battery drain.

I did drop the camera recently , it seems to be working fine. I have purchased a new battery , and it seems to have the same short life . Are there some settings that use up the battery faster ?? How can I check to see if Camera and battery are fine (after the drop )

I have recently purchased a second D7000 body , I havent use it enough to make a battery life comparision . Any feed back or suggestions ?

I have two of them ..first check on your battery info menu that it says if its new or worn out ..I get at least 1000 shots out the internal battery ..I know this because I have the vertical grip with 4200mah battery and had the battery move and disconnect so it went onto internal battery power ....500 shots and still showing 96%

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Other factors that can contribute to shorter battery life are: VR, use of video or live view, onboard flash, and constant use of the preview LCD.

Check battery if it is not one of the batteries being recalled by Nikon.

Have your camera checked by Nikon to see if there are "other" non-physically visible damages internally.

If I remember right the latest firmware upgrade was to fix a battery problem which made the electronics think the battery was low when it was not ....so re do your firmware..

Mikeydigs

Thanks for the comments and suggestions , my camera is shipping out for service tomorrow . I put a full charged good battery in yesterday, left it on overnight and by morning the battery was dead . There is something going on, a check up is in order . I'm glad I purchased a second D7000 body , too bad the $100.00 rebate wasn't available .

could of course be a problem with the charger ? you did not say if the battery is showing 100% in the battery info display or if its showing 'new'

Mikeydigs

My charger seems to be fine, the battery always read 100% and ... new -4 yrs .........I want to have it checked , it took a pretty had fall , ( slipped out of my camera bag ) on to tile floor . I sent it out today actually , I wrote in the coments what is going on and to check it out completly ........ I hope I get lucky and its an easy and cheap fix , or covered by warenty thank you again for your comments