WHat do y'all think?

ccoulson

So , while my 7000 is in the shop for the second time, I shopped around and found that I have the opportunity to trade my 7000 in on a d700 for little to no extra money. The store is very reputable but the camera is used. I'm not sure what the shutter actuation count is on the camera but it was in pristine condition.

So here's what I'm asking, if you were in my shoes with a camera you love, but that has never been reliable.and you had this opportunity..would you trade it for the 700?? How many shutter actuations is too many and what would you look for in a used camera?

I please note I only have 1 fx lens. Just looking for some serious feedback and honest opinions. I'm just sooo unhappy with my camera and Nikon right now. I just feel like I'm out a lot of money on a camera thats been replaced once and now innthe shop 2 times.Ugh
That's why I'm turning to you all.

gav329

Hi well I'm not as experienced as some of the folks here but I'd ask to check the shutter count and I assume you have one lens ie an FX so I'd go for it!!

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johncook

i've had my D7000 for a year and love it, i've not had any problems with it so far.

I've been tempted to see what the D700 is like in comparison. looking at on-line reviews it seems closer than you would think for FX vs DX. Users on here who own both say the images are better on the D700 but they find it hard to say by how much.

I'll hire a D700 at some point just to carry out some back to back tests to decide for myself.I'm surprised you are happy with the camera if you've had to take it in twice for repairs, that sort of thing might put me off it.There is the price difference for a start, plus the lenses cost more for FX bodies.

Good lenses cost money, and depending how good you are , you could get good results on the D7000 with an expensive quality lens that might look better than images from a D700 with a cheap lens.

The D700 is rated to 150,000 shutter actuations. What is a good number? hard to say, lower would be better, but if its been looked after and its sub 50,000 actuations, depending on how many photos you take I wouldnt worry too much. will the shop give you any warranty on the used camera??

I'd say it boils down to how much you have to spend and what your experience level is. do you need the video features on the D7000? do you use the custom user settings on the command dial, the dual card slots etc... the D7000 has many plus points

do you take low light shots because then the D700 would shine more and have better noise control. also the D700 is probably a bit bigger, and heavier with its sturdier body which is good for survival, less good for walking around with it.

Its a very tempting idea, depends if you really want to move up to FX format, how much money you have to spend on lenses (because you will want more, I have four lenses and want another 2!) and how good you are.

I'm gonna try and enjoy / learn with my D7000 for another 2 years, and then maybe if I feel I've improved enough I will treat myself to an FX camera. Then the dilema is D700 or D800!!:kiwi-fruit:

Last edited:

Geoffc

Last week I borrowed a d700 to try out. I normally use a d300s. I will be staying with the 300s. In normal light conditions I didn't notice any IQ difference but I lost the DX crop which made a big difference. Yes it was better at high Iso but that is not enough reason for me to change.

So I would say if you use 200/300mm DX lenses frequently you will need 500mm to get the same shots/IQ. In that case stay DX. If you shoot in poor light you will benefit from the D700.

In summary nothing made me say wow that's awesome I must get one, my D300s is rubbish by comparison.

All that said I returned a new D7000 last year and paid the extra for a 300s because I didn't like the images off the 7000. You may see things differently.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

grandpaw

A good friend of mine recently sold his used D700 for over $2000 on ebay. The one thing that would make me a little skeptical about the deal is that if a used D700 sold for that much why would a store basically swap it for a used D7000 that sells NEW right now for around $1100? Remember that the store can buy a new D7000 at dealer cost for even less than that. I would just have to wonder why they would make this deal. I have owned a D7000 for over a year and have had zero problems with it. It has been already mentioned about how much more it will cost to get lenses for the full frame D700. I know several people that have the D7000 and none of us have had any problems at all with them and think the camera is very good and are happy with ours. What you decide about if you should keep the D7000 you have or get rid of it is one thing to think about and making this deal if a completely different thing to consider, Jeff

Last edited:

ccoulson

Thank you all for your input.

So much to consider, the store takes the cameras on trade and tests them and cleans them. They actually have two right now.

And I am not happy with my camera, after 2 bodies and 2 repairs I'm to the point where I want to throw it in the garbage and give up. The money I spent on my 7000 was hard earned and I don't feel that I have gotten my money's worth. Of you look at my past posts you will see I have tried to be the biggest advocate for it, and blaming myself for the cameras issues but it's not me. The camera is the the repair bay at Nikon, where they do moderate repairs and replace major pieces of te camera. I know the d7000 are awesome, I have used a friends. Nothing against the camera in generals just mine. It's frustrating to pick up mmy mothers 5100 and get a better shot than with my 7000z also, her camera saved me when mine failed me at a wedding last weekend.

Im just looking for some relief so I can enjoy photography again. I've gotten to the point where it was so frustrating to use my camera that I was only using it for paid shoots and not for fun.and getting a d700 seemed like a good option. I'm not weary of the store, they are extremely reputable here in KY but I would like to know the actuations on the cameras.

Thanks again, all of your advice is amazing that's why I turned to you!

Shewashere

I purchased a d700 while my d7000 was in El Segundo for 7 weeks being fixed. I have ZERO regrets. I haven't had to calibrate anything and the camera just works! I did have to sell some lenses and buy some new lenses but it worked itself out. The only thing I miss is the dual card slots but after establishing a new routine even that is just fine. It is a much beefier camera to carry though if that's an issue.

I sold the d7000 locally after it returned fresh from Nikon and was honestly never so happy to see a piece of equipment walk out the door.

Last edited:

grandpaw

Congratulations on getting your new camera!!! The D700 is a fine camera and if you were able to get some lenses also you should be very happy. After you have had a chance to do some shooting let us know how you like it. What lenses do you have for it? Jeff

Shewashere

Congratulations on getting your new camera!!! The D700 is a fine camera and if you were able to get some lenses also you should be very happy. After you have had a chance to do some shooting let us know how you like it. What lenses do you have for it? Jeff

I'm assuming this is for me?

The D700 has been wonderful. I've had it for a little over a month now. I already had a 50 mm 1.8G which is lovely on the D700. I have since purchased an older push-pull 80-200mm 2.8 which is a fabulous lens and I purchased used locally for $300. I'm still floored with how beautiful that lens is and what I paid for it. I also just purchased a Tamron 28-75 2.8 which is scheduled to arrive today. My only complaint with my upgrade perhaps is that Nikon FX wide angle zooms can be prohibitively expensive, hence my trying the Tamron. I really found I missed my Tokina 11-16mm when I moved to FX.

grandpaw

I'm assuming this is for me?

The D700 has been wonderful. I've had it for a little over a month now. I already had a 50 mm 1.8G which is lovely on the D700. I have since purchased an older push-pull 80-200mm 2.8 which is a fabulous lens and I purchased used locally for $300. I'm still floored with how beautiful that lens is and what I paid for it. I also just purchased a Tamron 28-75 2.8 which is scheduled to arrive today. My only complaint with my upgrade perhaps is that Nikon FX wide angle zooms can be prohibitively expensive, hence my trying the Tamron. I really found I missed my Tokina 11-16mm when I moved to FX.

Originally I thought is was Courtnie but quickly noticed it said Jodie instead. I left it alone because I was curious to see what you thought also, Jeff

Shewashere

Originally I thought is was Courtnie but quickly noticed it said Jodie instead. I left it alone because I was curious to see what you thought also, Jeff

Well I do love it and I don't imagine I will be wanting to upgrade for many many years. With that said, if I hadn't had so many troubles with my D7000, I'd probably still be using it. ;) When it worked, it was fabulous. I think I was just really really done with the drama it involved. Courtnie sounds to be in about the same place. :(

grandpaw

I have to wonder just what is causing these problems. I am a moderator on another photography site and have ask how people like their D7000. The answers were all positive and they had not had any problems. All of the reviews do nothing but praise this camera and non mention any problems at all. There seems to be two different sets of D7000 owners those that have had zero problems and those that have had a bunch. It strikes me as a problem in a certain run of cameras or from a certain location where they were made. I personally think that many of the problems are caused by the user but there is no doubt that some cameras are have problems though. I would be very interested in knowing what each of the problem cameras have in common such as a time or location that they were made. I find it odd that the owners are either extremely happy or want to get rid of it, Jeff

Shewashere

I have to wonder just what is causing these problems. I am a moderator on another photography site and have ask how people like their D7000. The answers were all positive and they had not had any problems. All of the reviews do nothing but praise this camera and non mention any problems at all. There seems to be two different sets of D7000 owners those that have had zero problems and those that have had a bunch. It strikes me as a problem in a certain run of cameras or from a certain location where they were made. I personally think that many of the problems are caused by the user but there is no doubt that some cameras are have problems though. I would be very interested in knowing what each of the problem cameras have in common such as a time or location that they were made. I find it odd that the owners are either extremely happy or want to get rid of it, Jeff

Well, I purchased mine new in September 2011 and it was fine for a couple of months, then erratic focusing started happening. I thought maybe it was me and wasted hours and hours calibrating and testing. In the end, I sent it to Nikon and they finally ended up replacing the mirror box and some other parts. I think the problem may be even more widespread, but frankly, not everyone shoots at a shallow enough depth of field to notice a focus problem like mine. In my test shots (from a tripod), it grabbed focus properly a couple times, back focused for a handful of shots, front focused for 1 or 2, and simply did not achieve focus in a couple shots (and it was set to focus release). I would say the range of missed focus encompassed about 7-8 inches front to back... Unless you are shooting with a faster lens, lots of folks might not notice don't you think? It's really too bad, I liked the camera a lot when it was working.

grandpaw

Courtnie, I can easily understand your frustration and why you may want to move on to something else. The only thing that I am trying to point out to you is that if you look what the D700 cameras are going for on Ebay that it doesn't make sense to me for a camera store to swap it almost even for a D7000 that was brand new, much less a used one. They would be loosing money big time on this deal. I would check it out very good because it just sounds too good to be true for me, Jeff

fotojack

My point of view would be......if your D7000 has a lot of issues and doesn't work (probably something to do with the on board electronics on the computer board).....then get rid of it. Why waste time with it? If that D700 works, is pristine, you trust the camera shop dealer, the shutter count is reasonable (the dealer can easily find out by taking a picture and find the shutter count right then and there)...then get it. You'll be a lot happier with a pro level camera that actually works!

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Courtnie.

Just my .02.

I bought a D7000 back in Oct. 2010 - I have had zero problems with mine (but fully acknowledge others like you have had terrible luck with your D7000). When the D800 was announced I was "seduced" by the lowering prices of the D700 and snatched one up (second hand) in March as I have always wanted to try FX. It was in mint, mint, mint condition, only 4,300 shutter count and it looked like it just came out of the shop.

So what's the verdict? I really want to keep them both! I love the low ISO performance of the D700 and I think it takes an overall more pleasing photo straight out of the camera than the D7000 (IMHO the D7000 has a bit more fine grain to their files). However I do miss the extra reach and video capability of the D7000.

If I *had* to sell one (and I just may have too unfortunately) - I would let go of the D7000 very reluctantly but the D700 is just that amount better.

If I were in your situation - with a miserably performing D7000 and assuming the D700 your shop is offering is in good condition, lowish shutter count, etc. - I would RUN not walk and make that switch!

Last edited:

johncook

It sounds like its time to move on from the D7000, and as long as the D700 is a good one I think you wont be disappointed. best of luck!

ccoulson

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to get on here and thank everyone for all of their feedback, and for making me think of both sides of line and all that. And I also wanted to give you all an update on my D7000.

After 3 weeks, I finally got my camera back... The first time I sent it in they had it less than a week. When I got it back, Right out of the box, I noticed that they returned my camera without the body cap that said NIKON. They sent it with an aftermarket cap..... Kind of irritating, because I sent them one with Nikon on it.... I let it slide.

Then I looked at the invoice slip that that they adjusted the mirror, and adjusted the focus operation..... Checked the communication and did a general cleaning... I was like... umm ok. Thats almost exactly what they did the first time I sent it in a few months ago.

I stick my lenses on (note, i tried them all) and could not get them to focus properly. Before I sent the camera off. My 35mm was adjusted to -16 in fine tuning just to get it in focus, my 50mm wasnt as bad. maybe -5 so I tried to fine tune them again.... got them as close as I could. And promised myself that I wouldnt get too upset until I had done my photoshoot friday night to see how it went.

Cut to Friday night, and Saturday morning where I put the camera to the test with two very different but common photo shoots for me. UGH. I had to completely reteach myself how to focus the camera, by putting the focal point behind or in front of my subjects just praying they would get in the range of the focal point.. TERRIBLE!!! All the while trying to adjust the lenses on the fly just to get through. Luckily I learned how to make them work and came out with some pretty decent shots.

Move on to Monday. Where I call Nikon.

I sit on hold for 45 minutes.
Get connected with a girl who interrupts me while Im talking and says
"Excuse me Ma'am... did you ever think to change lenses?"
I was like. Seriously. I know how to use the camera and yes I tried 3 different lenses All the while I was thinking... what does it matter the camera should focus with any lens.

She asked me for my information and brought up my ticket... then she hung up on me..
So I called back, waited 45 more minutes and got the same girl on the phone who still had my information up. She continued to tell me that the focusing issue is my fault and that they needed me to send in a photo so they can tell me what I am doing wrong.

I sent them a photo and Im still waiting.

I honestly just cannot take anymore. The customer service there is so rude and condescending. I feel like just a number and I feel like the lady I talked to was mocking me and rolling her eyes on the other end of the phone at me, when In reality, this is huge for me. I was just asked to shoot the photos for the Kennedys Bookstore at the University of Kentucky, the photos will be used in the catalog, website and commercials.... and I NEED my camera that I paid 1600 for to work. I dont feel like its too much to ask.

Seriously Im at my wits end. I really dont know what to do.

I can sell the d7000 with a guilty conscience to someone, and go buy a d700 and maybe a lens, but I really wanted to save up for the d800.... ugh. This just puts me in the worst situation because once they see the photo I sent them, they are going to want the camera back, and I just cant send it back right now, I cant be without a camera again!

I will take any advice. Because Im about to give up Nikon all together and head towards the dark side.
Ive never been treated so poorly or with any less respect than the people have treated me at Nikon. And I havent even mentioned that the camera was Focusing fine before I sent it off.... The problem was that when changing lenses, the auto focus mechanism wouldnt work at all.. the camera wouldnt even take a picture until i took the battery back out and put it back in. it still does that intermittently. They have never mentioned that. and went and messed with something that was working, but didnt fix was didnt work and now neither works. I regret ever sending it in.

Im so down about it I guess IM lookin for some encouragement or advice, or anything.
thanks, sorry so long winded. Im kind of upset righ tnow.

Eye-level

Banned
That camera is just not for you...once you get a camera in your hands that is for you I think you'll feel better...I'm sorry this has happened to you because I am sure it sucks big time...

I wouldn't let your conscience bother you at all concerning the sale of said camera...I say good riddance maybe someone else will have better luck with it.

Keep the lenses... :)

Sambr

I agree get rid of it. The D700 is a much better camera. I have 5 Nikon bodies(including a D7000) and my most trusted go to camera is the D700.