A Sad View

ohkphoto

Snow White
Those of you who have been around a while will probably remember the great views "from my front yard" on my 365Project.This was tonight's view.I hope we have some forests left.

_SSC0255-Edit.jpg

Mike150

Helene? I've thought about you out there every time I see the fires on the news. I think we all probably have. Don't take any chances. We need you here. Maybe you should plan ahead and start movin your most cherished possessions (camers's included) to a safer location.

bluenoser

Banned
Oh Helene. I'm very sorry to see and to hear about this. Terrible. Do the authorities consider you a safe distance (at least for the moment) from the fires? Above all else, please keep yourself safe.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

RickSawThat

I've lived in canyon areas in the Santa Monica Mountains for many years of my life and am too familiar with this view. Be smart and be careful those fires jump with the wind very quickly. Our thoughts are with the mountains and wildlife in the areas. We are thinking of you Helene!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. I've had no internet for the last 32 hours, no phone service, and all the roads into Ruidoso were closed . . . flames and smoke everywhere. Looks like the apocalypse . . . Haven't been able to get in touch with some friends in the fire zone. This is the worst i've ever seen. Lots of people have lost their homes.

Fortunately, Capitan and where I live, is not as heavily vegetated as Ruidoso with the tall pines, so there wouldn't be much fuel for the fire. It was horrible to watch these tall trees just explode. There are three herds of wild horses in this wilderness area and many of the mares have just foaled. Worried about them. These mountains will never be the same.

They're bringing in the National Guard, more air tankers, etc. At least no lives have been lost.

Good night all. I just wanted to update you and let you know I was fine, sad, but fine. Thanks for caring :)

bluenoser

Banned
Thanks so much Helene for updating us. We're terribly worried about you. What an unbelievable nightmare you're living through. I'm very sorry to hear about such destruction - especially hitting so close to you.

Keep safe.

Sambr

Wow I feel for you Helene, two years ago we were evacuated because of a forest fire in our area. I hope you are safe take care.