Non-Auto Bracketing.... the old fashioned way. Not so good.

TedG954

Having been recently introduced to HDR through this forum, I decided to give it a try.

Using a D3100 meant I had to use a tripod and shoot a photo, change the exposure compensation, shoot a photo, change the exposure compensation and take the third photo.

I understand the process of pluses and minuses, but I have had difficulties with alignment. As hard as I've tried, through a firm tripod mount to the post program alignment process, my end results just don't look "crisp". I can still see the faint "ghosting".

Is there a trick to alignment? Or, do I have to get a auto-bracketing camera?

Thanks.

View attachment 11831

miknoypinoy

i cheat when I do HDR lol. just take a regular exposed image. then in a post processing program create two more images +/- 2 exposures (save them under a different name to preserve the original correct exposure. technically they're the same image so it should stay as sharp as the original. try it again with your properly exposed image. nice shot you got there.

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
Kudos to you for giving it a shot, especially the old-fashioned way :) You actually did pretty well on this. If you're using photomatix, there's a preliminary screen that comes up before it's merged and you can "deghost" the areas by dragging the cursor around the objects that are ghosted. You can then preview it and then continue to the merging.

Good luck :)

ohkphoto

Snow White
Mike, that's almost more work than just taking the auto-bracketed shots. I've tried it that way and I don't think the detail and colors are as rich.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Mike, that's almost more work than just taking the auto-bracketed shots. I've tried it that way and I don't think the detail and colors are as rich.

I agree. The advantage of true HDR is that you get more detail in the shadows.

If I need or want to try a HDR effect on a single image, I always use Topaz Adjust. They have a free trial so you can try it on the middle image and see if you like the results.

Last edited:

Lscha

I have the D3100 too. Are you using a remote release cord? I use mine all the time for HDR snaps. Maybe it makes a difference, I don't know.

miknoypinoy

lol. thanks Helene. note taken. I'm gonna have to try it the real way. I'm pretty pleased with it my fake way but alas the journey to perfection will push me to do a true HDR. I still need a shutter release cable also. Laura is spot on on having one.

I'm not afraid . . . YOU WILL BE. . . YOU WILL BE. . .