UV Filters

dddodgerrr

As a complete beginner at dslr photography I have been doing a lot of reading lately about the importance of good quality UV Filters on your lenses. After looking at all the different makes and prices I have got myself somewhat confused by the choice. Is there any particular makes I should use and just as importantly is there any that I should steer clear of.

AC016

All i can say is that it is a good investment. I bought a Rocketfish (bestbuy brand) and it works fine. I do notice that in my pictures, the blue sky is a deeper blue though. Other than that, it will protect your lens element. If your filter gets scratched, it's less painful to pay $20 bucks for a new filter than it is to repair or buy a new lens. That is all i can say about that.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I don't use UV filters. I've read arguments for and against but decided after researching that just filters aren't of the same quality as the glass in my lenses.

fotojack

I don't use filters either, unless the shot absolutely calls for one. Not6hing worse than seeing a good shot, then realizing you've got the wrong UV filter on! I'm just super careful with my equipment in the field.

If you really feel the need for filters, Hoya, B+W and Tiffen are the two you'd want to stay with.

bluenoser

Banned
Well the filter or non-filter debate is as divisive and heated and the JPEG vs. RAW debate! :) All I can say is that if you decide to use them, get a good quality one. I use UV filters on my higher end lenses but not on my "non-pro" lenses. My UV filter of choice is the B+W 77 XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M Filter

If you really feel the need for filters, Hoya, B+W and Tiffen are the two you'd want to stay with.

I think you better stick with grammar and spelling Jack...I'm thinking math isn't your strong suit!!!:glee::glee:

Last edited:

Sambr

Every single one of my lens has a UV filter - As for IQ with the the UV filters, my photos speak for themselves.

Mike150

Don't you just love it when a thread takes a "U"-Turn?

Dodger? In a nutshell, some people swear by them, and others swear against them. Personally, I use them because I'm a clumsy old goat and tend to bump into things. I haven't broken a filter yet, but I've come close. One of my co-workers refuses to use them but she never seems to come close to running into anything. I say if you're like me, use them. Otherwise, don't.

fotojack

Well the filter or non-filter debate is as divisive and heated and the JPEG vs. RAW debate! :) All I can say is that if you decide to use them, get a good quality one. I use UV filters on my higher end lenses but not on my "non-pro" lenses. My UV filter of choice is the B+W 77 XS-Pro UV MRC-Nano 010M Filter

I think you better stick with grammar and spelling Jack...I'm thinking math isn't your strong suit!!!:glee::glee:

LOL! Yeah, I had put Hoya and B+W at first, forgot about the Tiffens, added it, and forgot to change the two to a three. :) My bad. :)

dddodgerrr

I can see this is a very divisive subject!! I was mainly thinking of using them to protect my lenses so I guess it is best to stick with the better known makes you have suggested otherwise quality could be affected.

Eye-level

Banned
A lot of people swear by hoods too for protecting lenses...I use Nikon L37C's on mine for protection and they also keep back the dust...look at some of the pictures of my cameras...the filters will be all dusty and crap because I am a lazy pig! lol

Stangman98

There are many different opinions in regards to this. When I was first shooting I kept a UV/Protective filter on all lenses all the time. That was until last weekend. I was shooting my 50 1.8 at some truck pulls and the glare and other issues I was having made me take it off and I am not sure if I will ever put it back on.
I really think it's just an issue of what you are comfortable with and what kind of environment you shoot in. I typically am at the race track. Tons of debris all the time so I would most likely use one there or if I am in deep brush shooting something.
I would recommend something basic and determine if you like it and if you see a difference in your photos and go from there.