Nikon 18-70 vs 18-200

Geoffc

Westmill got me thinking about the 18-70 3.5-4.5 lens as he rates it highly. On that basis this might get me shot :eek:

I have an 18-70 from my D70 which my daughter had borrowed until recently so I decided to compare it with my 18-200 VRII lens at 18mm, 35mm and 70mm all at wide open and F8. I took all the shots on a tripod with cable release at ISO 200 using my D300s (VR off on the 18-200). I know these things are somewhat subjective, but I would say the 18-200 had the edge everytime, not massively, but enough that I won't be swapping the 18-200 for the 18-70 for any of my shots. The only thing the 18-70 did have was a slight speed advantage.

I will own up to being a fan of the 18-200 since it came out, but I kind of hoped the 18-70 would be my cheap secret prime for certain focal lengths. I hope this is balanced as I know how the 18-200 compares to my 70-200VRII and the IQ of the latter is in another league, but then again so is the price and the fact that I wouldn't want it on the camera all through my holidays due to its size.

I haven't compared my wife's VRI 18-200 but I would say we are always pleased with the results and I suspect the glass is the same so it shouldn't matter with VR off. When I read of people not being happy with the 18-200 IQ I do wonder if it's the way they are using it as we get consistently good results and if I could only keep one of my lenses, it would be that one. I'd better stop there in case I sound like a Nikon salesman :eek:

ch3360

Lol, I own a few lenses but my 18-200 VR1 is on my camera 95%.... As I type this I'm sitting poolside in Florida on Vacation and this is the only lens I brought with. It consistently performs well and is ideal for traveling with a light load (1 Lens).

Ruidoso Bill

I have said it many times here, I love my 18-200 and use it a lot. Weddings I take two bodies, a fast prime like a 28 mm on one and the 18-200 on the other. Between the two I seem to have most shots covered.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I've owned the 18-70 and own the first edition of the 18-200. Both are great lens. What makes the 18-70 so great is that it is really sharp, has a metal mounting bracket and you can usually find one for a good price. IMHO it is the best kit lens Nikon produced over the last 5-6 years.

My only complaint with the 18-200 is that it can get a little soft the closer you get to 200mm. But it is a trade off over convenience.

I don't you can go wrong with either lens actually.

Last edited:

Geoffc

I don't you can go wrong with either lens actually.

Eduard I totally agree. I was certainly not kncking the 18-70. As stated it has a nice metal mount and some form of rubber weather sealing like the 18-200. When I got it with my D70 it was a killer combo.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Eduard I totally agree. I was certainly not kncking the 18-70. As stated it has a nice metal mount and some form of rubber weather sealing like the 18-200. When I got it with my D70 it was a killer combo.

I didn't take it that way. I was making the comment for others who may read the thread. BTW My first Nikon was a D70s with the 18-70.

Geoffc

The D70/s with that lens was a great option in it's day. In fact I reckon I could still get some good pics from it today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bluenoser

Banned
The 18-200 gets knocked unfairly by many people. A high performance sports car has its place in the market yet so does an SUV or mini-van. If you need to pile the kids in for a trip the sports car won't be your best choice no matter how fast it goes! :)

As far as the 18-200 is concerned, I do not have the lens but it's definitely on my shopping list - tough to beat it as an all in one travel lens. It's a very nicely balanced combination of convenience and quality. People just have to properly identify their needs and goals, compare the available lens choices and choose the right one for the job (I guess not as easy as it sounds sometimes! :))

johncook

I have the 18-200 vr and it's a great lens, IQ is pretty good & the vr is terrific.....

But I don't use it much because I find it a large, heavy lens. So when travelling I usually take the smaller lighter 28-80 or now the 24-85 which I got recently plus my 50mm prime. I don't often need the reach of the 200mm end.

Just shows, each to their own. Many would probably be content with an 18-200 vr and rarely take it off their camera!!

I've used the 18-70 on my D7000 (it was the kit lens on my brothers D70) and it's fine, I preferred the 18-200 over it tho everytime.

Last edited: