New owner: D3100 and speed light (sb 600?)

dapogbite

Hi everyone,
I got D3100 as my first DSLR few weeks ago and it has been an amazing toy even as I am an amateur. I am still playing around with various settings and have a few questions if anyone can help:

1. I have noticed that when I take pictures in the night, it looks dark. Reading few things, I read about the speedlight...is that the solution?

2. I read that it is the sb 600 that is best for auto flash with the D3100 as the built in flash can trigger it, how correct is that?

3. Are the software e.g NX2 that come with the camera good enough in place of PS. Do I still have to buy PS?

I have more questions but will leave this for now.

Thanks for your time!

viscountdriver

Certainly an external flash is preferable. You do not say where you come from.If UK a jessops flash is fine.If elswhere the D60 is excellent but more expensive.
NX2 is good but has limitations.I suggest Serif PhotoPlus X5 , a top class editir and much easier for a beginner than PS

dapogbite

Thanks, I have updated some of my profile....will do the rest later.

I am bidding for the sb 600 on ebay as I can see that I can get one for around £80 -100. Would you advise to get the jessop one instead.
Will the Jessop one work wirelessly if that's the case?

fotojack

Go for the D60 if toy can get it for £80.00 The jesssops one is near that price.

The D60 is a camera model. I believe you're referring to the SB-600 flash unit. :)

Personally, I'd go for the SB-700 flash unit. Much more intuitive, and can be used remotely with your D3100. And yes, the Jessop flash is a good alternative.

Ski

I've just got a d3100 too and I knew I was going to take pictures in low light and I got a 35mm f1.8 which is awesome in low light and I've had some great pics from it. Speed light may be the answer for certain situations but I think the big aperture on the 35mm lens is brilliant. The more experienced guys may have more to add but that's my thoughts. I'll get a speed light in the future but not just yet!

dapogbite

I got the Jessop flash today for under £80 since the sb-600 was going for £130-150 on ebay. Any tips on using the Jessop flash for a brilliant job?
So the Nikon own nx2 for editing is not free?