My poor man's macro lens

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated macro lens since there are only few times in a year when I really like to shoot macro.

After analyzing what I have in my camera bags, the Nikkor 135mm f2.8 Ai lens came to my mind and decided to just include an extension tube.

After finding a mint (looks new to me) Nikon PK 13 extension tube, this set-up just became a good alternative macro lens which only cost me $40 for the extension tube. I bought the Nikkor 135mm f2.8 Ai lens around $120 (give or take a few) which was also in mint condition a long time ago.

For less than $200, I ended up with a macro lens that can shoot a 1:1 ratio. Shooting distance is about 1 meter or 3 feet from the camera sensor to the subject. Thoughts?

Nikkor_135mm_PK13.jpg

Sample shot at f8

Nikkor_135mm_009.jpg

pedroj

Better then paying $1000 and looks like it does the job....
I have an old 28-85mm F3.5-4.5 that has a macro switch on it does a great job..

bluenoser

Banned
I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated macro lens since there are only few times in a year when I really like to shoot macro.

You? Too cheap? I'd call someone with the following gear list lots of things but cheap wouldn't be one of them! LOL!

Glenn's Gear (as per the link in his signature):

Camera bodies:
D4 (I AM Cancelled!)
D800E (I AM Pre-ordered and waiting - again!)
icon_biggrin.gif

D7000 gripped
D80 gripped
Fujifilm X10

Glass:
Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII
Nikon 24-70mm f2.8
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII
Nikon 20-35mm f2.8D
Nikon 35m f1.8G DX
Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM

Manual Focus lenses:
Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ai
Nikkor 135mm f2.8 Ai
Nikkor 300mm f4.5 Ai

Flash:
Nikon SB 900
Nikon SB 800

Tripod:
Gitzo GT3531S CF
Arca-swiss Z-1 ball head

Bags:
Lowepro pro runner AW350 sling
Pelican 1510 camera case / roller

Yup...you sure are one cheap S.O.B.!

PS. Great idea for a macro lens! :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
You? Too cheap? I'd call someone with the following gear list lots of things but cheap wouldn't be one of them! LOL!

Glenn's Gear (as per the link in his signature):

Yup...you sure are one cheap S.O.B.!

PS. Great idea for a macro lens! :)

Hi James. Didn't realized that you dug in to that stuff. :D (LOL!)

Yeah, I know, I actually have three camera bags and a lowepro modular utility belt sytem. ;)

My ministry of finance spoils me.

AC016

I have read that you can also reverse mount lenses to make a cheap macro lens. Very nice lens and nice pictures to. Thanks for sharing

gav329

Lol!!! Had to laugh glen when you said "I'm cheap!!!" think my jaw actually dropped!! Some fantastic kit you've got there!!

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk