How to start to work with manual lense? D7000 + Nikkor 50mm 1.8

zanda_a

Hello,
Today I bought my first Nikon camera(I have worked only with Pentax before). For now I have old, manual lense Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.
But... how can I start to work with it?
What settings should I change?
:confused:

Mike150

Welcome Zanda. If your totally new to DSLRs, I would suggest starting in Aut and then looking at what settings the camera selected for various scenes.
After that, try some shots using Aperture or Shutter Priority and look to see how the camera adjusted.
Finally, if you haven't already done so, read the manual front to back.
You can also look for local camera clubs or photography classes in your area

Check out Nikon's Digitutor also. Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Oomph

Like this one? 50mm1.jpg50mm2.jpg50mm3.jpg

Eye-level

Banned
Hello Zanda...hopefully you'll get back on here and post again. To use an old 50 series E on a D7K works as follows...set the camera to M...you have to choose basically two things - aperture and shutterspeed (you can also work with your whitebalance but while first learning you probably need to be on auto whitebalance) So you choose the aperture by turning the ap ring on the lens...you choose the shutter speed with your menu...I am not certain but I believe the D7K has a menu where you can select a MF lens and it will be able to matrix meter...someone else will have to fill you in on that aspect...then of course you have to focus the thing when you make a shot...

I use strictly old MF lenses mainly because that is all I have right now and my money goes to lots of other things beside camera gear nowadays...I enjoy using the old MF stuff because of it's build quality and I like the challenge of having to control the whole show...it is a hard row to hoe but a fulfilling one as well...

gfinlayson

I am not certain but I believe the D7K has a menu where you can select a MF lens and it will be able to matrix meter...someone else will have to fill you in on that aspect...

Jeff's right - go into the setup menu (spanner symbol). There's a menu item marked Non-CPU lens data. Enter the manual lens focal length and maximum aperture in there and the camera will meter fine with it.

Think your optical surfaces could do with a clean there, though! ;)