Macro Lens!!

T.Behuniak

I really love macro photography. I've been wanting to get a macro/micro lens for a while but I don't know which to choose. The 105mm nikkor micro looks fantastic but its so expensive! Anyone know any cheap micro lenses under $800 or around $800? Particulary nikon but in the end it doesn't matter. Heres an example of one macro shot i took just with the 18-55 kit lens, it did a good job but i want to try to get closer: View attachment 11742

JoeLewisPhotography

honestly, if you are willing to spend $800...why not another $130 or so and just get the 105. its amazing, and you wouldnt regret it I have it in my bag and it continues to impress me.

Oomph

Google the Tamron 90mm, its what i decided on for 445$, with the money save not going 105 you could get a set of extension tubes.

ohkphoto

Snow White
The 60mm micro 2.8 (Nikon) does a really nice job and would tie you over until you outgrow it or decide on a longer lens. I've rented the 105 and 85 and didn't think they were worth the extra bucks when the 60mm did just as well. I do want to try the 200mm f/4, though, one of these days.

Lscha

The 60mm micro 2.8 (Nikon) does a really nice job and would tie you over until you outgrow it or decide on a longer lens. I've rented the 105 and 85 and didn't think they were worth the extra bucks when the 60mm did just as well. I do want to try the 200mm f/4, though, one of these days.

That does it. I have been pouring over every bit of information I can read on the internet about which macro I should go with. I've gone back and forth between all of them trying to decide how long I want to wait and if it would be worth it. You helped me decide on the 60mm (Nikon) and it is in my Amazon wish list. Done lookin'. Thanks.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Laura, I bought mine on ebay. Turns out the seller was once a student in my 5th grade school. so the lens is extra special to me. I think you'll be happy with it.

Oomph

Forgot to ask before, but what are you planing to shoot in macro? that would be the be all end all for your pick. The working distance is a big factor when talking macro, if its bugs like butterfly's,bees or anything skittish you want a large or long WD like the 90 or 105, the 60mm macro will suit stationary object like reproductions, flowers and things of like ilk. Macro WD and reproduction size then hit price points imho.

Bukitimah

Personally, macro is not just magnifying the subject. It is also about the composition, lighting, etc. I feel that you don't need a macro lens to do the job. Of course it will make it easier.

Try extension tube and close up lens first.

Lscha

My case of nas is preventing me from patiently waiting until October for a Macro lens. I want to take photos of water drops and stationary objects. I am not concerned with AF. Can you tell me if I would like the Zeikos Macro Automatic Extension Tube Set (12mm, 20mm & 36mm)?

(I have the D3100, kit lens and 55mm-300mm)

Photowyzard

I have been experimenting with Macro for a couple of years now and I almost tried it all. Including, trying out a Mailing Tube with a reversed lens on it a fellow PlanetNikon.com member posted an example of.

If you want to drop your jaw at what a simple mailing tube can do, click on this link, you will not be disappointed, the chap who did this is brilliant:

http://www.planetnikon.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14496&st=0&p=88522&hl=+royal

In regards to my own attempts, I have tried:

Filters
Extension Tubes
Reverse Lens
Macro lens

Best purchase, hands down, never look back: Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR
• can't sing the praises of this lens enough

It is not just a macro, it is a phenomenal lens in every way.You can go here to this forum:

Going Wild with MACRO! - PlanetNikon Forum - Page 3.6666666666667

I started as a novice there and there are several hundred posts and many images, many bad, of my early macro attempts and occasionally, I post new images.

It might be worth a read. I have images from filters, tubes and the lens posted there. Below are some sample images taken with the Nikon macro. Be patient and save your money, it is well worth the purchase. Try a used one on Craig's List!

Michael-Kors(2).jpgCherub.jpgLady-Bug-(27).jpgMacro-Butterfly.jpg

This is a REVERSE LENS mounted on my Nikon with a special adapter. The lens I used was a Pentax 24mm Wide angle lens.

Ball-Point-Pen.jpg

NOTE: Just realized that you cannot view images on PlanetNikon.com unless you are a member. It is free, worth the sign up. Like here, there are some amazing images and information there as well. Can't belong to enough forums! ;)

Last edited:

Lscha

I have been experimenting with Macro for a couple of years now and I almost tried it all. Including, trying out a Mailing Tube with a reversed lens on it a fellow PlanetNikon.com member posted an example of.

If you want to drop your jaw at what a simple mailing tube can do, click on this link, you will not be disappointed, the chap who did this is brilliant:

Royal Mail Macro Kit - PlanetNikon Forum

In regards to my own attempts, I have tried:

Filters
Extension Tubes
Reverse Lens
Macro lens

Best purchase, hands down, never look back: Nikon 105mm 2.8 VR
• can't sing the praises of this lens enough

It is not just a macro, it is a phenomenal lens in every way.You can go here to this forum:

Going Wild with MACRO! - PlanetNikon Forum - Page 3.6666666666667

I started as a novice there and there are several hundred posts and many images, many bad, of my early macro attempts and occasionally, I post new images.

It might be worth a read. I have images from filters, tubes and the lens posted there. Below are some sample images taken with the Nikon macro. Be patient and save your money, it is well worth the purchase. Try a used one on Craig's List!

View attachment 11780View attachment 11781View attachment 11782View attachment 11783

This is a REVERSE LENS mounted on my Nikon with a special adapter. The lens I used was a Pentax 24mm Wide angle lens.

View attachment 11784

NOTE: Just realized that you cannot view images on PlanetNikon.com unless you are a member. It is free, worth the sign up. Like here, there are some amazing images and information there as well. Can't belong to enough forums! ;)

Wow! There is a lot to read. Thanks for letting me know about it. I'll check it out when I get home.

Just-Clayton

This shot was done just using my 18-55 when I first got my camera. I am glad I have two cameras now. The macro lens stays on the 3100 90% of the time. As a kid I was the one looking under rocks and In the weeds looking at the small creatures. Now with my camera I can get closer without disturbing them.

Attachments

• DSC_9026 (431x640).jpg
    DSC_9026 (431x640).jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Personally, I'd go with a little longer focal length lens to increase distance between the subject and the front glass. I recently purchased a used Nikkor 105/2.8G for a trip to Keukenhof Gardens in a Holland. Awesome glass. My favorite is below.

EXIF: D300, handheld, shutter priority, 1/500, f/5.0, ISO200

original.jpg

I also went to a workshop a couple years ago sponsored by Tamron and used their well regarded SP AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro. If I wouldn't have found a deal on the Nikkor, I would have purchased the Tammy without hesitation. My favorite from that workshop is below.

EXIF: D300, tripod with cable release, backlit flash, 1/250, f/22, ISO800

original.jpg

Lscha

Just mount a Raynox DCR 250 close up lens on your 18-55 kit lens and you can achieve this

Here is the first Raynox DCR 250 shot. Hand held. This tiny guy was on an insulated doorwall, hence the reflections. I can't wait to see what I can get with a tripod.

20120613_1.JPG