Any advice on a new lens or 2?

DaveW

I have moved on from the normal kit lens you get - mine being 5 years old now!
Anyway, I have the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8 which I use most of the time.

Now I am actually looking to get some more lenses - at least 2 to cover me from 18 all the way to 200.
I like both the primes I mentioned especially the 35mm which is silky smooth, but really need something for portraits, or maybe a zoom or 2. The thing is I really don't want to pay for the 17-55 Nikon 2.8 because its too darn expensive. The same for the next Nikon lens to take me up to 200.

Anyone recommend the Sigma's? Or the Tamron? And any specific recommendations for a really good portrait lens?

JoeLewisPhotography

17-55 is where its at...its great at everything from landscape to portraits. that lens is AMAZING. I used to have one. BUT, like you said, they are pricey. I hear the 17-50 sigma is pretty nice....i have a friend who shoots with it, and loves it. I never shot with it though. If you want a GREAT portrait lens, a 70-200 is what i'd go with, i have a sigma version that kicks major butt. but again, it expensive ($1300) could get into a sigma 70-200 NON OS for around $700, if you can find them. an 85 1.8 would be nice too...but its another prime.

Unfortunately, if your ready to step out of the kit type lenses, the more expensive ones are where you will be. I'd steer from tamron personally, most of their focus motors are slugs compared to the competition...but for some people, that doesn't matter. I know my post doesn't help you much, sorry lol.

pedroj

Which camera do you use...Can you use AF or do you need AF-S lens...

What is your budget...There is no sense in us recommending something if it's outside what you are willing to part with

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It appears that "NAS" has finally creeped on you already.

Might as well invest in a bigger camera bag to make room for the newer additions.

DaveW

Which camera do you use...Can you use AF or do you need AF-S lens...

What is your budget...There is no sense in us recommending something if it's outside what you are willing to part with
OK I use a D90 and hoping to go for a D7000 later on in the year. The reason for that is because although I'm not a pro I am doing a few semi pro things albeit on a very small level and don't want to not have a back up camera. That is not important right now as I have an old D50, but don't want to look a fool either.

As for budget, I am willing to go the extra mile and get a high quality lens, but I don't think one lens fits all on a DX.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
As much as I appreciate the financial challenge, I have to agree with Joe and recommend the 17-55. It is simply the best lens on the DX platform. If you shop around and find someone going to FX, you should be able to find a great copy for between US$850-950. That is what I did. Best move I made to improve my results.

T.Behuniak

I would not recommend Tamron at all. Most of their lenses are slow and loud - at least the ones I've used anyway, one being the 70-300. I would advice the 55-200mm nikkor or 70-300 nikkor for zoom. Or if you can afford them, go for the Famous Nikon Trinity, but like you said, they are VERY pricey.

DaveW

I don't think I need something for low light as I can use the 35 or 50mm 1.8's.

The Sigma 17-50 2.8 looks good and is half the price of the Nikon. But the 50 - 200 range or something like that gets me a bit stuck.

If I went with the Sigma (if its any good) what can I use for portraits that isn't going to force me to rob a bank?

pedroj

You might pick up a second hand Nikon ED 80-200mm F2.8 and it will auto focus on the D90/D7000...Great for portraits at the short end, and sports with a Nikon 1.4 tele-converter

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You might pick up a second hand Nikon ED 80-200mm F2.8 and it will auto focus on the D90/D7000...Great for portraits at the short end, and sports with a Nikon 1.4 tele-converter

Respectfully, I have to disagree with the sports recommendation. This is a slow focusing lens so combined with a lack of VR, I don't think it is an ideal choice. I have one so I'm speaking from experience.

Bukitimah

If you already has the 35 & 55 mm, why still looking at 17-55? The 70-200 would be your next target. I may even trade the 35 with a 11-16 if I need the wide angle.

pedroj

Sorry I've found that Nikon don't make a T/C for lens that don't have AF-S

pedroj

Respectfully, I have to disagree with the sports recommendation. This is a slow focusing lens so combined with a lack of VR, I don't think it is an ideal choice. I have one so I'm speaking from experience.

I use mine on a tripod and shoot MotoX, soccer and surfing and very seldom have out of focus shots...

johncook

A few questions..

1) what is your budget?
2) what type of photos do take?
3) what zoom range is most important?

You've got a couple of primes.
A fast 70-200 is a nice lens, but do you need that zoom range?
People have mentioned a 17-55 range which is often used but u have 2 lenses which sit in this range.

If u want a jack of all trade lens a nikon 18-200 vr is good.

I had a sigma 24-70 2.8 & hated it so returned it. I think nikon lenses are the best for nikon cameras so I doubt I'll ever buy anything but nikon again.

A 16-85 nikon lens is a great range & might suit u well.

westmill

Banned
The 16-85 is the best standard zoom currently available for DX
The 80-200 F2.8 is great value and is fast, and great for sports etc. It is not as fast as the latest generation though, but then its half the price. VR makes Zero differance to motion blur.
Ive used this lens for covering horse racing many times. Great even wide open, but lacks a little contrast here, but
thats easily corrected. Its not a lens you will want to lug around though. Mine is restricted to race days lol
The tamron 17-50 offers the biggest bang for your bucks in this realm.
its obviously not built as well as the Nikon and its noisy in use. Optical quality is up there with the best though.
if you wish to check out lenses try here !

Nikon / Nikkor (APS-C) Lens Tests