suggestions for a 50mm prime

radoguy

I am looking to get a 50mm prime to shoot with. I was going to go with a midrange zoom to start but have decided not to and just get a standard prime. What is the best 50mm prime out there right now? I'm not looking only at Nikon. My first three thoughts were the Nikon f1.4, the Sigma f1.4 and the Zeiss Planar f1.4. I do primarily nature and landscapes, but do other things to on occasion. I use my 16-35 a good bit and will be getting a 70-200 f2.8 soon to go along with it. What. Are your thoughts for a very good 50mm prime. I'm willing to spend up to $1000 for a good 50mm prime.

Last edited:

JoeLewisPhotography

Re: suvgestions fora 500mm prime

50 1.4 is all you need if you are hung on a getting a 50. they are great for portraits, but not quite wide enough for landscapes. they work, but you may find yourself coming up short. Looks like you are looking for something in between your 16-35 and your soon to be 70-200...in which case i would recommend looking into a 24-70 though its a bit out of your budget.

radoguy

I won't be using the 50 for landscapes. Would be using it for other things. I was planning to get a midrange zoom but decided not to. The 24-70 is not out of my budget. I am buying a 70-200 soon which costs more. I have shot with a 24-70 and wasn't impressed with it. I had planned to get a 24-120 f4 over the 24-70 f2.8 for that reason. I'm looking at a 50 prime because it is the middle of the raid between the 16-35 and 70-300 I have the the 70-200 I will soon get. Plus the 50 has much better low light than any of the zooms out there in the same range and it is sharper, lighter and less expensive.

Last edited:

JoeLewisPhotography

so if i read right, you are saying the 50 is sharper and better in low light than a 24-70? lighter and less expensive, yes, but not sharper or better in low light, not to mention nano coatings etc. It may not be for you, but the 24-70 is a far superior lens.

radoguy

Explain to me how a f2.8 lens is better in low light than a f1.4... I would love to hear it could be because I know it isn't. As fast as shaped, the Nikon 50f1.4 isn't sharper however I would put my old Zeiss planar 85mm f2 against the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 any day and beat it in sharpness, contrast and color saturation. I can't use it because it is for my old 35mm Contax 159MM.

gqtuazon

Gear Head

I've read a lot of post especially from their personal experience when it comes to 50mm.

Good value with great performance (sharpness): Nikon 50mm f1.8G

Better OOF / Bokeh: Sigma 50mm f1.4 HSM

Sharpness: Zeiss 50mm f2 macro (MF) / Nikon 50mm f1.8G

Skip the Nikon 50mm f1.4G

BTW: Can you please edit the title of this thread? It is misleading.

Last edited:

JoeLewisPhotography

well obviously being a 1.4 can take in more light, but realistically, anything below 2.8 in a 50mm is pretty useless IMO. just too shallow of a DOF....but thats my personal opinion. so yes, TECHNICALLY you are right. alos, since it appears you know everything, why even ask the questions?

to Glenn, i wouldnt take the sigma 50 1.4 over the nikon version....read reviews on them....the sigma 1.4 is one of the most unreliable out there. if your lucky to get a good copy, your ok, and its a great lense, but its a crap shoot. again, just my opinions.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
to Glenn, i wouldnt take the sigma 50 1.4 over the nikon version....read reviews on them....the sigma 1.4 is one of the most unreliable out there. if your lucky to get a good copy, your ok, and its a great lense, but its a crap shoot. again, just my opinions.

No worries Joe. I own a Sigma 85mm f1.4 HSM and I love it more than the Nikon 85mm f1.8, and 85mm f1.4D except for the 85mm f1.4G. My copy is spot on. Any minor adjustment can be easily corrected using the camera's fine adjust or is it auto fine tune?

If you observe most of the OOF lights on most shots, the Nikon gives you a football type shape instead of a more rounded circular bokeh effects. Of course this is just my personal preferrence.