Exposure Compenation

TedG954

Is there any way that the D3100 will record 3 exposures (-1, 0, +1) with one click?

If I want to take 3 different compensated exposures, will I have to use a fixed tripod and take 3 separate frames to use in HDR?

Thanks.

pedroj

Is there any way that the D3100 will record 3 exposures (-1, 0, +1) with one click?

If I want to take 3 different compensated exposures, will I have to use a fixed tripod and take 3 separate frames to use in HDR?

Thanks.
Should be in your manual..

bluenoser

Banned

Thanks.

The D3100 does not have automatic exposure bracketing. You'll have to do it manually by using the exposure compensation button and the control wheel.

Yup....tripod, 3 compensated images and a good software program. :)

I'm not very knowledgeable about the HDR field so hopefully some others can give you some good tips.

TedG954

The D3100 does not have automatic exposure bracketing. You'll have to do it manually by using the exposure compensation button and the control wheel.

That's pretty much what the manual does say. I was hoping for something I missed...... or magic.

johncook

Can u shoot in RAW? Then you can take one shot and use Photoshop or lightroom to create 2 more images each with + / - 1 stops exposure.

why would you want to bother ..just shoot everyting 0.5 stop under and pull it up in lightroom ..over is never any good ..under will pull up with no problem

Rick M

Single manipulated images in shop or lightroom do not create true HDR, you cannot recover what was not recorded. It (image data) can only be captured in the over and under exposures which is what expands the "High Dynamic Range".

Ted- you are on the right track with the 3 seperate shots, what you are looking for is auto-bracketing which the D3100 does not do. Need to do it manually with a tripod. The only disadvantage of the D3100 which brought me to the D5100.

TedG954

Thanks everyone. I'll be doing it manually. For a hobbiest, this is actually a good thing. It will allow me to "think" more in planning my shots. This is why I wanted to get away from point-n-shoot / auto cameras anyway. I'll keep you posted on my progress.