Questions and Answers for the Weekly Challenge Contest. Post'em up here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoser

Banned
Folks, please use this thread to ask your questions about anything related to our weekly photo challenges. This will avoid cluttering up the individual contest threads which should really just have entries and posts related directly to that specific challenge therein. Thank you!

So....please feel free to ask questions and/or make general comments concerning our weekly photo challenges.

Posted June 3, 2012:
before starting this challenge, shouldn't we announce the winner from 2 challenges ago?

Posted June 3, 2012
Nope. One has nothing to do with the other since each mod is posting a challenge and winner. We got behind on posting winners because "someone" posted the winner too early. I'll post the winners of my 2 challenges tonight, and then Browncoat can post the winner of his challenge next Sunday and we'll be back on track. Been a little busy.

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Helene.

Based on Joe's question and your answer above, would the normal timing for posting winners be 7 days after a given challenge closes? For example, my challenge runs from June 3 to June 10 so I would post the winner on June 17? (not before or after if possible?)

Philnz

Folks, please use this thread to ask your questions about anything related to our weekly photo challenges. This will avoid cluttering up the individual contest threads which should really just have entries and posts related directly to that specific challenge therein. Thank you!

So....please feel free to ask questions and/or make general comments concerning our weekly photo challenges.

Posted June 3, 2012:

Posted June 3, 2012
This Thread is a good idea and it has answered my question already
Thank you

Philnz

I really enjoy doing the Weekly Challenge Contest and a big thank you to all the people who put in their time to run them.
Just one question what time on the world clock do you use for the start and finish?. If I knew I could put an app on my computer.
Thanks again
Phil

bluenoser

Banned
Just one question what time on the world clock do you use for the start and finish?. If I knew I could put an app on my computer.

Excellent question Phil. I'm relatively new to the weekly challenges (ohkphoto and Browncoat are the vets) but my understanding is that the deadlines are based on Eastern Daylight/Standard Time. I stand to be corrected. However your question does bring up a great point in that it the time zone used should be stated in the rules.

AxeMan - Rick S.

http://nikonites.com/weekly-photo-c...allenge-jan-11-18-say-pictures.html#post41926

The moderator staff has decided to "reset" the weekly challenges for a little while in an effort to spark some interest, as participation has been dwindling a bit lately. Once we get this going again, please remember choose your challenge topic more carefully. Keep your subject generic because not everyone has access to locales or meets gear requirements. Everyone should be able to participate in your challenge! The more specific your topic, the more difficult it becomes to participate.

Is it me or are we moving away from this. It seams the last two months the challenges have been more "off the wall" and harder to do and not too "generic"

I think this weeks challenge is very narrow and is going to be difficult for me to do living in a rural area.

I'm just thinking out loud not complaining.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi Rick.

Thanks for your post.

It seems to be a balancing act. On the one hand we like to choose interesting topics and have people think a bit about what they're doing (as opposed to just slapping something together). However on the other hand you don't want to alienate segments of people by choosing too narrow or difficult themes.

In my case I alone chose the architectural oddities theme for this week's challenge (so blame me for that one! lol!). I'm a big city kind of guy (Toronto) so I do have access to many varieties of strange buildings, etc. "Regular" architecture seemed a bit generic to me but in hindsight perhaps I should have rethought my choice given the points you've raised.

Some themes will invariably play to the strengths of some members over others for reasons of geography or personal shooting styles, etc. However while acknowledging that we can't please all of the people all of the time, in general I think we should try to be as inclusive as possible as often as possible.

Feedback like yours is invaluable in opening up productive discussions and helps keep our collective eyes on the ball so to speak! :)

Thanks again Rick.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Is it me or are we moving away from this. It seams the last two months the challenges have been more "off the wall" and harder to do and not too "generic"

I think when Anthony reset the challenges, it was after a series of really specific ones that a lot of us couldn't do, like "bridges" . . . there are none in the desert! I try to remember that when I come up with one. I think it's nice to have a balance, some "easy" ones like the book title one, and some "off the wall" ones that make you push your technique and creativity.

I think I speak for the mods that we want this to be a worthwhile experience for the participants as well as the judges. So some challenges will be tough, some too easy and others just plain duds.

For the architecture one, it doesn't have to be "city architecture".

JoeLewisPhotography

I was unaware that each mod had their own challenges to issue now...forgive me, i have been gone a while lol. We all get busy, but i have to agree, the challenges in general just seem out of whack, poorly timed, mis communicated bewteen mods and overall, the participation has been way down. Too many chefs in the kitchen i think. Perhaps ditch the challenges all together for these busy summer months. And re-open when everyone has more time to dedicate to them. Just a thought.

bluenoser

Banned
A reminder.....

I have deleted several posts which were inappropriate, off-topic and thoroughly unrelated to the purpose of this thread. Please note that any similiar type posts either now or in the future will be removed.

Everyone, please keep you questions/comments/suggestions constructive and those that are receiving the advice (like myself and the rest of the moderator team) will please be gracious in receiving it.

This thread is here to help improve - through respectful discussion - the weekly challenges and to clear up any confusion that may exist in the minds of our members about any aspect of these challenges.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Philnz

Re: A reminder.....

I have deleted several posts which were inappropriate, off-topic and thoroughly unrelated to the purpose of this thread. Please note that any similiar type posts either now or in the future will be removed.

Everyone, please keep you questions/comments/suggestions constructive and those that are receiving the advice (like myself and the rest of the moderator team) will please be gracious in receiving it.

This thread is here to help improve - through respectful discussion - the weekly challenges and to clear up any confusion that may exist in the minds of our members about any aspect of these challenges.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
No thank you. Lets all just go out there and take great (Ok sometimes not so great) photos.

AxeMan - Rick S.

When we were using the old format for the challenges I won my fair share of them so I know how hard it is to come up with something, let alone something everyone can do.

Since the format has changed and the Mods have taken over I have to give them high praise for the challenges they have come up with. Usually on Sundays I log on and the first words out of my mouth are, "are you kidding me?" after reading the new challenge for the week, but I continue on.

Joe I'm sorry, you are always a wealth of information and I value you opinions and comments, but I have to disagree with you on this one about closing down the challenges for the summer months.

To maybe elaborate on your idea. Summer time would be a good time for harder challenge with a two week time limit or more, (i.e. Photograph the alphabet.)

For me I'm more likely to go out and take photographs (work on a challenge) in the summer time more than the winter time. I have found doing my 365's I have a harder time from November - March, which here in the Midwest is our colder and snowy months. However when winter is here it gives us all a new backdrop to work with, we just have to endure the cold. I don't know how any of my fellow Northern Nikonites do it.

I think the Mods have addresses my point well, it's a balancing act, and you can't please everyone.

See you all in the challenge.

JoeLewisPhotography

Rick, my idea to close down the challenges for the summer months was not intended to be taken seriously. It was just a point I was making, that while the challenges are in the mods control (i give them credit, it isn't easy) that if they were too busy to attend to them, then perhaps they need to put them on the backburner for a while...not all challenges in general. It wasn't meant to be mean or a shot at anyone. It was meant as serious advice. If anyone knows what its like to have a full plate, it's me, but even I know when to set certain things aside to make time for other commitements, especially when it work vs. play. I have to feed my family, so work comes before fun.

Just like anything in life, if you agree to be involved with something like this, it requires commitment. Granted, the challenges are meant for fun, it's still something that should be followed through with. For the record, I wasn't the only one curious as to what happened to the results to previous challenges. My other comment regarding too many chefs in the kitchen, i still stand by. Though i understand taking turns, the mis-communication between everyone is an issue.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
As one of the mods - but one that doesn't put in near as much time as Anthony, Helene, Jack or James - I'd just like to remind everyone that those four do the heavy lifting that make Nikonites the pleasant place we all enjoy. I personally know how much time and effort they invest. This isn't a business for them but rather a desire to give back to the general Nikon community. Rather than comments that appear borderline snarky, why not offer to help?

bluenoser

Banned
Re: A reminder.....

No thank you. Lets all just go out there and take great (Ok sometimes not so great) photos.

Thanks very much for your support Phil. I agree....let's have some fun and take some great photos (or even not so great! lol! :))

So back to the point of this thread: Please feel free to post your weekly challenge questions. I'm happy to try to address them to the best of my abilities.

Last edited:

bluenoser

Banned
Since the format has changed and the Mods have taken over I have to give them high praise for the challenges they have come up with. Usually on Sundays I log on and the first words out of my mouth are, "are you kidding me?" after reading the new challenge for the week, but I continue on.

lol! I thought I was the only one who thought that! :)

For me I'm more likely to go out and take photographs (work on a challenge) in the summer time more than the winter time. I have found doing my 365's I have a harder time from November - March, which here in the Midwest is our colder and snowy months. However when winter is here it gives us all a new backdrop to work with, we just have to endure the cold. I don't know how any of my fellow Northern Nikonites do it.

Me too Rick. I'm far more likely to get out there in the summer months than the winter - although I try of course to do both.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments folks. These discussions are a great way to better understand what we as moderators are trying to accomplish with the challenges and of course at the same time trying to be sensitive to the preferences of our members.

Status
Not open for further replies.