Mirror loose problem, place it back myself?

elcannikon

Hi, I just got a D5100 and after taking a few pictures the mirror got loose. I'm leaving on holiday this week so I have no time to send it back for repair and would like to repair it myself if possible. Can I place the mirror back in its frame? If so, which way up should the black frame be? And finally, shouldn't the mirror be glued or snapped in??? Any advise would be more than welcome.

Thanks

elcannikon

I would return or exchange it.
Thanks for your advice, which makes indeed most sense. I can return it, but if I could fix it myself that would enable me to take it on my holiday, leaving this week...
Do you know how the mirror is fixed? Is it with glue or does it snap into place or any other system?

Rick M

Not sure. I don't think you'll find much advice on the net for that. The problem also is, if you mess with it and cause a further issue (or even make it appear it was tampered with) you will void the warranty. Unfortunately, if I were you, I would return it.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm a tinkerer with most electronics but I wouldn't trust a body where the mirror fell off. Keeping the mirror clean is critical so I can't imagine home repairing it. Cleaning it, yes.

Carolina Photo Guy

Hi, I just got a D5100 and after taking a few pictures the mirror got loose. I'm leaving on holiday this week so I have no time to send it back for repair and would like to repair it myself if possible. Can I place the mirror back in its frame? If so, which way up should the black frame be? And finally, shouldn't the mirror be glued or snapped in??? Any advise would be more than welcome.

Thanks

As soon as you attempt ANY repairs yourself, you will, in all probability immediately void your warranty.

You make the call. Self repair or self replace.

Duct tape is cheap but a free return and replace is cheaper still.

§am

Not sure where you live, but either way, contact the retailer and ask them for an urgent replacement for an obviously faulty camera.

In the UK, the first 30 days, the retailer must deal with warranty issues with manufactuers, and therein after its up to you. Also, within 7 days any faults are the immediate issue of the retailer to replace immediately (as long as its not obvious malicious damage).

Personally, I would not void the warranty on the new bit of kit, and if it means one holiday without your new camera over potentially many more holidays with an non-warranty one, I know which I'd take :)