Ready to return my D800

LIgirl

Dear Nikonites,
please help. I have been a Nikon shooter for 4 years now, and I have recently bought the D800. I am VERY upset and disappointed with the quality of the pictures. They are extremely soft and when I zoom in the level of noise is incredible. I am using the lowest ISO possible, and still the results are very upsetting. I have seen better pictures taken with a point-and-shoot. what am I doing wrong? I really appreciate your help.
thanks!

Scott Murray

Dear Nikonites,
please help. I have been a Nikon shooter for 4 years now, and I have recently bought the D800. I am VERY upset and disappointed with the quality of the pictures. They are extremely soft and when I zoom in the level of noise is incredible. I am using the lowest ISO possible, and still the results are very upsetting. I have seen better pictures taken with a point-and-shoot. what am I doing wrong? I really appreciate your help.
thanks!

I own a D800 and love the clarity and sharpness, if possible show some photos with EXIF data so we can examine what you are doing and maybe help you out.

bluenoser

Banned
Sorry to say....but

nopics.gif

Post some up and we'll be happy to assist. :)

pedroj

Welcome...As above, pics needed with exif data...If your images are soft I'm almost sure it's caused by your technique...
And regarding the noise if your images are under exposed that could be the reason for the noise...

Last edited:

ronvanderkolk

Do they look soft at 100% or at a normal print/screen size? With 36mp, looking 100% will reveal the slightest motion blur cause by you, the camera and the subject. At normal print/screen sizes they will not be more of a problem than with any other Nikon FX DLSR with a lower pixel count. Post an example with EXIF as suggested above. I'm afraid it's technique, not equipment.

radoguy

Which lens(es) are you using? It could be a problem with the lens. I have had no problems with soft focus with my d800. Only thing I've had is a little motion blur and that was my fault and because the lens i used wasn't a VR lens.

Note to self...if you take pictures of a 2 1/2yo playing on a playground without a VR lens you will get motion blur.. LOL

pedroj

No picks posted with exif data....I do wonder if L girl is actually A Nikon owner or just another canon stirrer...

I would recommend that you work on your technique and stop blaming your tools....

Photowyzard

I have very briefly used a D800 and it sings in your hands. Image quality is beyond description.

Without some pictures and EXIF, I would say Pedroj may have hit the nail on the head.....

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Dear Nikonites,
thanks!

Dear Ligirl,

It is sad to hear about you being less than satisfied with your $3k camera body. Even pros had a learning curve on how to use this new beast. Any slight movement or vibration taken with this 36.4 mp camera can be amplified especially noise when viewing the image at 100% or even 200% which is why even Nikon strongly recommended using a tripod.

FWIW, I am offering to pay for the shipping and insurance for this unappreciated camera and will gladly welcome it to a new home where utmost care and love will be surely provided.

;)

Sincerely,

Eager shooter

Photowyzard

LiGirl,Here is what I think the issue is....

1) you are shooting with a 35mm lens at f1.8
2) there is zero depth of field
3) the focus point, as far as I can tell is fine.
4) you are in a shaded area with poor light. It all looks treed! The left side of the stick is in focus and sharp, the right side of the stick is soft, but not because there is something wrong, it is because you have ZERO Depth of Field. It is gradually getting soft as you get further away from the point of focus.

Test.jpg

I took the liberty of adjusting the image a bit in NX2 to check the focus and framed the picture at 100% from the jpg you posted. This looks very good to me.

What I can't tell from the image is what your ISO was.
Shutter was 1/125
Image size is fine 1200x800

Are you using a Nikon lens?

Here is what I suggest....
1) Find some place that is sunny. Like a parking lot with some cars so we can get some Depth of Field
2) take some pictures around 9:00 am
3) push your ISO to 800
4) set the f stop to 11
5) adjust your shutter, it should be high enough so you can get a fast shutter speed and a sharp image
6) If you have 7 cars parked side by side, focus your lens on the 4th car to give us a better idea of the focus
7) Set your image control to "FINE jpg", it will be a big file and post again!

From what I see, there is nothing wrong other than settings and expectations that can't be met at f1.8 and to be honest, the mossy side of a cliff, in a wooded area at f1.8 isn't the best image to judge by.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Great assessment Art.

OP - do you have any FX lenses? I would use a tripod (if you have one), and do not go over f8 due to lens diffraction. Between f5.6 to f8 should be pretty sharp depending on the lens that you use.

LIgirl

Thanks so much, Photowyzard. It's already 11 am, so I've kinda missed the light, will take the photo in the afternoon light. Yes, you are right, 1.8 is very shallow.

Until then, here is a photo taken at sunset, with a somewhat more appropriate f-stop.

Attachments

• DSC_1645.JPG
    DSC_1645.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 379

Photowyzard

You are very welcomed, I don't mind helping.

Although a nice picture, I would prefer to see images with objects and contrasts. Hence the parking lot suggestion.

Purpose for the early or late sun is to get shadows and contrasts with a variety of different objects and colours in view.

The goal here is to get enough bright light but not the harsh light of the noon sun. You want to be able to set the f stop to at least 8 but not really higher than 11 as diffraction may come into play. And, you want a very high shutter speed to eliminate any hand held camera shake. If you have a VR lens, use it. If you have a tripod, even better.

Don't use DX mode, shoot in FX. Make sure your WB is set for Sunlight and we can take it from there.

If you do find a parking lot, make sure the cars are lined up away from you with the first car the closest and the last car the furthest away as opposed to looking at them in a linear frontal view line from left to right.

Failing a parking lot, find a brick building or store on a street corner, or house with vegetation etc.

What I would like to see is an image with depth, colour and contrast and I would like to see the image sharp and at an f stop of at least 8-11.

And you will see.... that you will find love :cool: very quickly.

Photowyzard

Check these two images out. These are taken with Westcott Lighting Systems and with a D800e:

D800e(12%).jpg

D800e(CU).jpg

The first image is the original, at 12% crop. The second image is 150% crop.

What do you think?

attachment.php

This image is the same as above, only the left side at 100% crop.

These images were essentially point and shoot. There was no setup other than pointing the camera and snapping the picture.I post this because it is taken at f 2.8.

Again, poor DoF doesn't give the optimum results. But, this image isn't at all bad!

Last edited: