Playback Zoom

PhotoCrick

I just bought my 5100 yesterday and REALLY enjoyed shooting my son at his soccer and baseball games today. I can't wait to take more as well as a variety of pictures.

My question is, after zooming in the playback mode, is there a way to save that zoom, instead of selecting the retouch menu and then trim? The retouch menu/trim option doesn't allow you to zoom in and really see what the "edited" version will look like.

Thanks.

bluenoser

Banned
Hi there. "zooming" in is just a temporary function allowing you to view the critical sharpness of a picture (for example). I don't believe there is a way to do what you're asking although I don't see why the trim/cropping option is not an acceptable solution. I would strongly suggest doing your post-processing work (even for simple things like cropping) out of camera with the free ViewNX2 software included.

Philnz

Hi there. "zooming" in is just a temporary function allowing you to view the critical sharpness of a picture (for example). I don't believe there is a way to do what you're asking although I don't see why the trim/cropping option is not an acceptable solution. I would strongly suggest doing your post-processing work (even for simple things like cropping) out of camera with the free ViewNX2 software included.
Yes I agree Always have look at the image on a larger screen before you try to crop or do any post editing. There is plenty of good post editing software that is free or not a large cost Good luck

PhotoCrick

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I do have a question on the free ViewNX2 software though, I'm usually relatively good at using software but I can't figure this one out. I always like to make a duplicate of my picture before making any changes to it. I went through the help menu to find out how to do that. It says to select the picture and then from the edit menu, select "duplicate". Well, I'm not seeing the duplicate. I'm looking in the both the browser and edit mode. I've checked for updates. Any help is appreciated.

§am

Interesting that - I have not duplicated things within VX2, but it might just be easier to do it in Explorer :)

bluenoser

Banned
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I do have a question on the free ViewNX2 software though, I'm usually relatively good at using software but I can't figure this one out. I always like to make a duplicate of my picture before making any changes to it. I went through the help menu to find out how to do that. It says to select the picture and then from the edit menu, select "duplicate". Well, I'm not seeing the duplicate. I'm looking in the both the browser and edit mode. I've checked for updates. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 11662

However I will add that if you worked in RAW (I'm assuming you aren't), you wouldn't have to worry about making a copy of the image per se as any changes you make to the RAW (NEF) file are "lossless".

PhotoCrick

Thanks so much! That process works. I like that better because I don't have to duplicate it first. Now I'm off to have some software fun.