35mm or 50mm

coach

Been awhile since I posted. I am going to be taking some photos at a wedding for a friend. Trying to decide if I should add one of these lenses 35 mm or 50 mm. Will be taking the standard after wedding pictures in the church, group shots and bride and groom. I own the d3100 with the 18-55mm lens. trying to keep cost down to around 200.00 for a new lens.

AC016

It depends on how far or close you are willing to stand, as well as what you are going to shoot < full body or waist up? lot's of background? I think you should PM JoeLewisPhoto. He does weddings and would be able to suggest you a good lens. Thanks

JoeLewisPhotography

First, both are nice little lenses and will help in low light, so i do think you should opt to get 1 of them. I think, if these are your only choices, you may be better off with the 35. A 50 is great if you plan on doing 3/4 shots, or even head shots....full body IF you have the room. If you are planning on doing the traditional, full lengh group shots and similar, the 35 will allow more room for that. the 35 is also a great portrait lens, but you have to get a bit closer to the subject, which may make some people uncomfortable. Consider the space you are working in. In the past, i have almost screwed myself not having a wider piece of glass in my bag, thinking the 50 would be fine. I literally had to use every inch of space to get everyone in the frame...granted, it was a tight space, that i was not aware we were using for this. Remember, a 35 is equivelant to 52mm and the 50 is more like 75mm on the DX sensor.

coach

Thanks for the quick response. Been leaning toward the 35mm. Been worrying about getting everyone in the picture.

Shoots808

I was surprised to find myself doing the back step with the 35 on my D5100. It would be tough to get full body shots withe 50 unless you are so far away you run the risk of people walking into the shot.

fotojack

I just sold my 50 today, as a matter of fact, because it just doesn't do it for me. Like Joe said, the 35 would be more practical on a cropped sensor, which is what I plan to get next. The kid I sold it to really liked it, and he didn't quibble about the price either. And.....he has a D200 like mine, so I was able to give him a Nikonites card and directed him to join us here at Nikonites.

CG_Media

Old thread but I have always been taught that if you were going to do portrait photography, whether it be full, half or just face that 50mm was the minimum with 85mm being ideal. Main reason being distortion. That said, I have the very same 35mm glass and I love it. It stays on my D5000 most of the time just as a general walk around lens. Don't worry about distortion all that much as you can easily and effectively treat the issue in lightroom or PS.

Price point wise with the 3100, I'm going to guess that the 35mm 1.8g by Nikon is going to be your best bet. Unless you are comfortable with manual focus...