Running (+ other sports) event photo software that matches faces and numbers

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
The folks at Brightroom, a sports photography company out of TX, appear to be using something that I've never seen before.

Last weekend I participated in a half marathon (my first one ever, btw). Today I received an e-mail saying that the photos from the event photos that Brightroom had taken had been posted, along with a sample of photos that included me.

brightroom_email.JPG

"Cool!" I thought, "Although I didn't win by a longshot, I made the e-mail!".

After further inspection, and a "oh, I'm not actually that awesome" thought, I realized that there is either some clever software that picked my number, matched my face (the first two photos have me in the background, but you can't make out my number), and then cross referenced my number with a database of participants - or people manually went through all of the 13,000 photos from the event! I'm pretty sure software was used, especially since they take 10s of thousands of photos of events all across the country.

Here is their photo viewing / buying software: brightroom Inc. - ODDyssey Half Marathon Gallery - Clicking on the link in the e-mail led me to a photo browser that allows me to purchase my photos directly without going through all of those photos. It looks like it couldn't identify only 1,000 out of the 13,000, and most of them are because the number is not visible.

Maybe someone from Brightroom can comment on how this works? Really cool stuff you have going on there.