Turning off VR on my next outing...

AC016

On my next outing to go plane spotting, i am going to turn VR off on my 55-200. I have pretty steady hands and most of my shots will be between 135 to about 180. I will be panning from left to right or vice versa. I want to see how the pictures come out as opposed to having VR on. Anyone here care to share their feelings about this?

JoeLewisPhotography

shouldn't be an issue, just use a fast shutter speed. everything is magnified at longer focal lengths. including the shake. What you may think is no shake, and/or minimal, is actually more than you think.

AC016

shouldn't be an issue, just use a fast shutter speed. everything is magnified at longer focal lengths. including the shake. What you may think is no shake, and/or minimal, is actually more than you think.

Thank you:) I will try that. On the most part, i try to go on sunny days, which i beleive will diminish the need for VR a bit more. This will be interesting for me. I will have to post the results.

Oomph

I would suggest turning VR off 90% of the time, I only use it when i just have to get the shot every time. I find the VR makes me, for the lack of a better word, lazy. I used to think i had a steady hand till i shot a lens with no VR, I almost crapped my pants at the failure rate. JLP is right on about shutter speed. This could just be im new to photography but Id rather learn to maintain better form and turn VR on when ive had a couple drinks, the way i look at it is if i can get great shots without VR i dont have to worry about buying a new lens and only having VR/OS options to pick from.

pedroj

On my next outing to go plane spotting, i am going to turn VR off on my 55-200. I have pretty steady hands and most of my shots will be between 135 to about 180. I will be panning from left to right or vice versa. I want to see how the pictures come out as opposed to having VR on. Anyone here care to share their feelings about this?

Focal length of 200mm = Shutter speed 1/200th or faster is what I've found to be the rule of thumb...