Are DSLRs a dying breed?

ohkphoto

Snow White
I read this a long time ago and didn't think it's worth addressing because it seemed like it was just a "Trey" thing to have something to talk about on his blog and generate traffic. I had a camera with an "electronic viewfinder". didn't like it. The reason I have an SLR, digital or film, is so that I can SEE THROUGH THE LENS.

Carolina Photo Guy

Hey, don't shoot the messenger here. I found this article and thought it was interesting. What are your thoughts? DO you think these new "3rd gen" cameras are going to take over in the next 5-10 years? :confused:

DSLRs are a dying breed – 3rd Gen Cameras are the Future

This Trey guy is comparing apples to watermelons! 35mm film cameras ALL had one thing in common, no matter the brand.

FILM!!! A 35mm film camera ain't much use without any film.

Digital cameras are a whole 'nuther breed. All a Dslr needs is a printer to download to. A computer makes the whole thing that much better.

Dslr cameras are going to be around for a pretty good while to come.

JMTCW YMMV :)

Browncoat

I read this one awhile ago as well. I like Trey, his tips are what helped me get started tinkering with HDR. I try to ignore that Robert Scoble is involved in this particular project because I can't stand that guy. He likes to think he's on the cutting edge of anything and everything, and is wrong 90% of the time, but because he's one of those social media gurus, his word is treated as gospel and spreads like wildfire.

DSLRs are just that...digital SLRs. They're 35mm film cameras with converted innards to sync up with computers. Overall, they feature pretty archaic technology. Wireless and GPS has been the standard with just about every other techno-gadget for how many years now? Yet digital cameras continue to lag behind and there's no reason for it. DSLRs are for all intents and purposes, outdated. But...

This is where I agree with Helene. I like being able to see what my lens sees, which requires a mirror. It needs that old school touch with whirring gears and clicking sounds. I like a big clunky camera as opposed to something that feels like a toy in my hands. And in my personal opinion, which is the same as legions of others, DSLRs just take better pictures. A camera is not a complicated device, and packing one full of circuitry is just bound to gum up the works somewhere and sacrifice quality along the way. Digital image sensors just aren't "there" yet, and probably won't be for awhile.