d3100 early thoughts 1 month on.

Jonny g

I thought I'd post my experiences of having a D3100 for over a month. It may help someone who is choosing a camera but please remember it is subjective and based upon my experiences.

The D3100 is affordable (to me) and I always fancied a Nikon. I am very impressed with the camera. It is easy to understand. I would recommned it but If I was buying again I would look a bit more in what other Nikon models can offer.

It took me a while to get going as I didn't want to put it in auto mode and just shoot I actually wanted to learn how to take photographs. My experience has therefore been to think about a shot rather than point and press in auto. If people want to do that its fine btw and it is a good way to get going but I want to learn what would happen with this f stop and that shutter speed.

The results have been a mixed bag of pictures but I am happy with the progress.

I have found the web invaluble in providing info on photography generally and even tutorials on using this camera. I find this forum very helpful, simply ask a question. However I have learnt that a lot of stuff is subjective. I intend to enter a few competitions shortly.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Jonny G

Mike150

Hey Jonny. I'm in the same situation. I bought my D60 a few years back because of it's cost. There are times when I wished I'd spent more money, but I didn't have it then. Heck... I still don't have it but I'm saving. In the mean time, I've been taking shots of what I find and in the process, I've discovered that some of my favorite shots are every bit as good as they would have been with a more expensive camera.

AC016

Yep, more expensive equipment will not help you take better photographs. I am happy to hear of your progress. You are doing it the right way; that is to say, "getting out there" and thinking about the shot. I wish you luck in your competition. Any chance we can see some of your shots? Happy shooting:)

Lscha

Of all the things I've read about the higher end DSLR's, I have been more inclined to save for better lenses rather than upgrade to another camera. I'm really new to it but I love my D3100 and have gotten some satisfactory shots with it. I'll improve and keep my sights on those incredible lenses that would make a difference.

ZekeMenuar

Of all the things I've read about the higher end DSLR's, I have been more inclined to save for better lenses rather than upgrade to another camera. I'm really new to it but I love my D3100 and have gotten some satisfactory shots with it. I'll improve and keep my sights on those incredible lenses that would make a difference.

This

The D3100 has several settings that I've never tried. I guessed if I didn't know what the setting was I didn't need it.
That ruled out the D7000.

I also figured that if the camera package cost $750, I'd need to budget another $750 for filters, more lenses and a tripod.
Getting the D3100 left plenty of money for accessories. I'm not wanting for filters and assorted goodies.

After a year and a half using the D3100 I've gone from being a bad photographer to a mediocre photographer. Progress in my book.
It's an easy camera to learn. The old settings from my film days transferred to this camera quite nicely. Once in a while I take a decent picture.
I don't see myself "upgrading" to a D7000 in the foreseeable future.

As soon as the price of D3100's start falling I'm getting another one to keep as a spare.

Last edited:

TedG954

I agree with all the positive points made about choosing the D3100. It is far more capable than I am, so until I master my D3100 to the point of boredom, I'll be keeping it. I am also involved in shooting sports and the relative equipment rationale is similar with photography. Some think that equipment will make a bigger difference in their ability, but the truth is.... quality depends on the craftsman far more than the tool.

Jonny g

Thanks for all your comments. I don't know if anyone will ever see this as other response's seem to fail to get posted!!

I have enjoyed thinking about taking shots as much as taking them.