D200 and 18-70mm

gav329

Well I was photographing my young son on his bmx at very sunny (a change in Glasgow) skatepark and an overcast day school sports. I have the set up guide and set it accordingly however I set it 100 ISO coz sunny though then discovered later the set up recommended ISO 400-800!! Would that explain why the motion pics not that great and washed out a bit, but the static ones not bad?

The overcast grey day shots were to be honest not any better than my point and shoot!! I set ISO to 800, would I have been better going for 400 because it's kids sports and so a bit slower than pro sports? I'm clueless here to be honest, I've prob bitten off more than I can chew with the D200 but I bought coz very good price. Or is lens a bit poor? Maybe I have to break the bank and get fast glass? Or maybe photo classes? Sorry lots of questions folks? Just looking for a wee bit of guidance, thanks

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pedroj

What are the other settings...What lens was used...I've found if you can't achieve a shutter speed of at least 1/250th of a sec[more important then ISO] You will have motion blur...To get 1/250th of a sec some times you have to use the ISO..

If the images are under exposed using higher ISO you will have more noise...

gav329

Hi the lens used was the 18-70mm dx lens, it's the only one I have. Thanks for the info about shutter speed. I'll need to try and get some instruction I think on using the camera coz most of the settings and understanding what things do are over my head😳. Thanks for replying mate.

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk