D300 vs. D7000

keywestceleste

I recently retired my D300 and purchased a D7000. Am stll trudging my way through differences between the two, but am fairly happy with my purchase.

But... (Isn't there always a "but"?!) :) Two issues/questions:

First:
Has anyone else noticed that the D7000 seems to underexpose vs. the D300? I have the two on the exact same settings [single-spot metering, ISO, etc], and the D300 photos seem to be brighter. My imagination?

Second:
I transferred my Sigma DC 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 lens from D300 to D7000. Photos from D300 seems to be a bit sharper than those from D7000.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Browncoat

Anyone have any thoughts?

Yes. Your issues are attributed to downgrading your camera.

I mean, some will probably come along and tell you to fiddle with a few settings in the hopes of tweaking things to make it right, but having owned a D300, I doubt you'll ever be happy with what the D7000 gives you.

pedroj

Yes. Your issues are attributed to downgrading your camera.

I mean, some will probably come along and tell you to fiddle with a few settings in the hopes of tweaking things to make it right, but having owned a D300, I doubt you'll ever be happy with what the D7000 gives you.

I would have to agree with Browncoat on this...I would never swap my D300 for a D7000 but would have one as a back up to the D300...When or if the D400 comes along I would have to purchase one and back it up with the D300..

gqtuazon

Gear Head
The D7000 requires a learning curve and you need to use it more and learn how the control feature works. Do your comparison using a tripod before you judge it. You'll find out the flaws with your hand-hold technique might not be perfect and the D7000 will require a higher shutter speed than the D300.

From what I've seen, the D7000 is probably a full stop better than the D300. Was your comparison based on the computer monitor or the camera's LCD?

pedroj

The D7000 requires a learning curve and you need to use it more and learn how the control feature works. Do your comparison using a tripod before you judge it. You'll find out the flaws with your hand-hold technique might not be perfect and the D7000 will require a higher shutter speed than the D300.

From what I've seen, the D7000 is probably a full stop better than the D300. Was your comparison based on the computer monitor or the camera's LCD?

I don't understand...Please explain..I'm sure the basic image gathering is the same..

Why would it need a higher shutter speed? Same lens same aperture Equals same shutter speed in my books...

Last edited:

Geoffc

I upgraded my D70 last year with a D7000. I was always really impressed with my wife's D300 but thought the 7000 seemed like an upgrade sensor wise. I took it back after a week and paid the extra for a D300s. The reason being, the shots just did not look as sharp? I did many tripod based tests and concluded I would have preferred the D70 sharpness. Under close analysis it seemed to be the way it transitioned between light and dark edges which created a less than sharp effect. If I had never previously used a 300 I probably would have been perfectly happy.

Please note this was not a technique issue as I've been using the things for a good few years. Also my friend bought a 7000 and I saw exactly the same in his shots. He claims to be happy with his though. You need to decide if you prefer the overall package or if it will bug you forever. I was lucky as the shop allowed me to return it and pay the upgrade for a 300s.