White circular spot appearing on photos when using f/9 or higher.

designthusiast

I am shooting with a NIkon D300s with an AF Nikkor 50mm lenses for some reason when I use an f/stop of 9 or higher white spots will appear on the photos I am taking. I have cleaned the censor via the camera setup and still no luck. Not sure why this is happening and how it can be fixed. I have contacted Nikon and they seem to think it needs to be service. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if there is anything I can do?

I have attached a photo below and you can see the white dot on the sheet in the photo.

Attachments

• DSC_1880.jpg
    DSC_1880.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 426

Browncoat

I'm guessing the lens itself needs cleaned. One of the lens elements inside likely has a speck of dust on it, or from the looks of it, the remnants of a drop of moisture. I don't envy you. Lens cleanings aren't cheap.

Contact your local camera store and see if they do service work. Have your fire extinguisher handy in case your wallet suddenly bursts into flames.

Carolina Photo Guy

I am shooting with a NIkon D300s with an AF Nikkor 50mm lenses for some reason when I use an f/stop of 9 or higher white spots will appear on the photos I am taking. I have cleaned the censor via the camera setup and still no luck. Not sure why this is happening and how it can be fixed. I have contacted Nikon and they seem to think it needs to be service. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if there is anything I can do?

I have attached a photo below and you can see the white dot on the sheet in the photo.

It is the lens that needs cleaning. The F-stop is the clue. Had the spot been on the sensor, the light distance would be a constant. Since you needed f9 or higher, the light distance is variable. I think that you may want to send the lens to Nikon. You have a sharply defined BLACK spot also. Its located in the upper left window.

It almost looks like a rubber seal is breaking down.

BUt I could be wrong! :)

designthusiast

I am currently studying abroad and was able to get access to another Nikon lens and the spots are still appearing at f/7 or higher. I guess this means its the image sensor? Didn't realize it can only effect certain f/stops. Is this true?

Carolina Photo Guy

I am currently studying abroad and was able to get access to another Nikon lens and the spots are still appearing at f/7 or higher. I guess this means its the image sensor? Didn't realize it can only effect certain f/stops. Is this true?

It does not have to be the image sensor. It can be on the MIRROR! You need to take your D300s to a repair shop and have it throughly checked out.

BTW...

Did you get any shots of the broad that you are studying? :)