Wind noise reduction in video?

JSandK

I will be creating a lot of videos in the wilds of windy Alaska, and am wondering how best to eliminate or reduce the typical wind noise most cameras make using the internal mic. Would a Nikon external stereo mike make a big difference? Other suggestions?

AC016

Mmmmm, if you are going to use an external mic, you can get one of those fluffy things to cover the mic. Not sure what you call them, but you see news crews use them all the time when in windy situations. If you are using the internal mic, not sure how you would reduce the wind noise. Maybe cotton balls over the mic holes in the body?? lol:p Anyone else have other suggestions?

JSandK

I ended up getting the Nikon ME-1 stereo mic. Simple, although not cheap solution. It has a mic cover, and a special switch option for wind.

eurotrash

In my studio, I use little foam windscreens on mics if they're generating a lot of breath noises. I'm sure someone crafty could tape a thin piece of closed cell foam to the camera to see if that would dissipate a bit of that wind. But since you've got it sorted my post is a bit meaningless lol..