D7000 overall.

Dooku77

I am getting ready to purchase this camera. I've been trolling this site for a while and decided to join. I've left Canon for this purchase. As a whole, given the focusing issues and v1.03 firmware, oil on the sensor and whatever ghost issues plague certain bodies, would you still consider this a great purchase and a great camera?

Rasmus

I'm not sure the problems Are as widespread as the internet suggests...remember people rarely bother making a review when things work as intended. But if there's a flaw, people will speak up a lot, and warn people.

I have a d7000 and never had any issues at all, as soon as i remembered to let autoiso go above 200 ;)

You'll have your warranty if you end up with a faulty camera regardless

Sendt fra min MK16i med Tapatalk2

Dooku77

I'm not sure the problems Are as widespread as the internet suggests...remember people rarely bother making a review when things work as intended. But if there's a flaw, people will speak up a lot, and warn people.

I have a d7000 and never had any issues at all, as soon as i remembered to let autoiso go above 200 ;)

You'll have your warranty if you end up with a faulty camera regardless

Sendt fra min MK16i med Tapatalk2

Thank you for your input. I do not live near any camera shops or big box stores that carry this camera so I am unable to handle it. I'm going off I pure feedback and reviews at this point. I'm glad I joined. Thanks again. Looks like I'll be purchasing.

Browncoat

The oil issue has been pretty much resolved at this point. That was a problem with earlier runs of the camera. Unless the store you purchase from has some old inventory, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dooku77

The oil issue has been pretty much resolved at this point. That was a problem with earlier runs of the camera. Unless the store you purchase from has some old inventory, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to order from amazon and I know they just replenished their stock.

crisscross

I have now had a D7000 since new year and am happy to give it a cautious endorsement. I think if I was prepared to have weight and bulk of D300s, I would rather have got that. The D7000 has a mass of cunning settings, most of which turn out more trouble than worth and make it a difficult beast to tame. I think there is an issue with focus on landscapes which may not have sharp edges features at the relevent point and it may be exacerbated by slow lens(es).

However the fast continuous shooting is great as are the mirror-up and user pre-set functions. Best of all, when exposing downwards to avoid 'blown' bits eg white cloud edges, the info is all there in what can look like pitch black foreground, fully recoverable using either D-Lighting in Capture NX2 or DxO optics for really poor light situations. This is what the high ISO ratings are really about, not shooting in the dark!

See my pbase 'recent' galleries for wide ranging evidence pics

Dooku77

I have now had a D7000 since new year and am happy to give it a cautious endorsement. I think if I was prepared to have weight and bulk of D300s, I would rather have got that. The D7000 has a mass of cunning settings, most of which turn out more trouble than worth and make it a difficult beast to tame. I think there is an issue with focus on landscapes which may not have sharp edges features at the relevent point and it may be exacerbated by slow lens(es).

However the fast continuous shooting is great as are the mirror-up and user pre-set functions. Best of all, when exposing downwards to avoid 'blown' bits eg white cloud edges, the info is all there in what can look like pitch black foreground, fully recoverable using either D-Lighting in Capture NX2 or DxO optics for really poor light situations. This is what the high ISO ratings are really about, not shooting in the dark!

See my pbase 'recent' galleries for wide ranging evidence pics

My Canon 50D weighed a ton with the grip and my 18-200mm lens so the weight is not an issue for me. That part I actually enjoy. My major concern was just the "ghost issues" and the focus issues I read while trolling. My inclination is that some of the complaints were very real and some were inexperienced users. I'll check out your photos when I get home this evening. I can't wait to order my new camera. I feel naked without one.

crisscross

If you are happy with D50 weight/size band, do reconsider D7000 against D300s. Although less pixels, no lack of sharpness and I think in side-by-side test the actual performance is very similar. Of course there will be a D400 soon (?).

The D7000 does balance OK with heavier lens, in my case 80-400

Dooku77

If you are happy with D50 weight/size band, do reconsider D7000 against D300s. Although less pixels, no lack of sharpness and I think in side-by-side test the actual performance is very similar. Of course there will be a D400 soon (?).

The D7000 does balance OK with heavier lens, in my case 80-400

Does the d300s have any video qualities? This partly why I am wanting to purchase the D7000.

pedroj

Yes but not as good as the D7000...If you are buying the camera for the video capabilities you would be much better off with a real video recorder...

Dooku77

Yes but not as good as the D7000...If you are buying the camera for the video capabilities you would be much better off with a real video recorder...

I've seen some pretty great video from a dslr. It won't be the primary purpose, but it is very nice to have the option. The stills capability is what draws me to the Nikon line. The Canon 7d is what it's compared to and that dslr has been known to do pretty outstanding video. But still I love a great photo. :)