Really Nervous...HELP!!! LoL.

DaveW

I have posted this under the D90 section simply because I use a D90...and I can't think where else to ask???

I recently did some couples and portrait stuff at a 40th wedding anniversary, and today when I got the photo book back from the printers (present to the couple), which came out pretty darn good if I say so myself and everyone else said how good they were.

Now because of that I have been asked to take some pics of a Horse and pet Dogs. All show animals top pedigree, and to be honest I don't have a clue where to start.
I could fumble something up I suppose, but would obviously like to go armed with a little expertise even if I don't have any.

This is not a paid job or anything like that, but they have insisted that I take something...

The question is not about money though, I just wondered if anyone has any tips on what to do? Pet Dogs and a Horse??? this is a bit daunting.....

JoeLewisPhotography

Wait, THEY "Insisted" you do this, and its NOT paid.....who is running the show here?

Are these people friends, relatives or complete strangers?

The first question you should ask yourself is...Do you plan on photographing animals porfessionally, or at least adding it to your portfolio for an animal gig every now and then. If the answer is no, then dont be affraid to say no. Time is money, shooting something your not into, for free does not benefit you in any way shape or form.

If they are friends or family, and you want to do them a favor, that is up to you. If you do not know them, don't do any favors. Next thing you know, they are telling people where to get free pics. Again, time is money. Of course, on the other hand, if you know these people could lead you to more work you like doing, and more possible paid jobs, and you do not want to dissapoint them, then do the work, but get SOMETHING in return. Even if you sell them prints after words.

In any event, photographing animals is really no big deal, just take the shots from their levels. horses photograph well as it is...dogs get antsy, so be prepared, and probably set your focus to continuous incase they are on the move. If the dogs are decently behaved, and follow basic sitting commands, with a few treats, they should be eating out of the palm of your hand (pun intended lol).

Last edited:

DaveW

Hi Joe,
The wedding anniversy pics were done as a present, but also because I wanted to see how the reaction was. They are friends, but it was an experiment in real time and to see if I could do something of a decent standard.

The Pet project is roughly half and half. That is, I am friendly with the person and suggested I take some pics of his Horse. Again an experiment to see if I can get some worthwhile pics, but he has loaded on the Dogs.....its ok but that puts me under some pressure to produce the goods as it were.

The whole reason I'm doing it is to get a cross section of stuff to put in an album of my best work. I would like to eventually do something on a semi pro level, and of course get some income from it albeit a small percentage.

I have never enjoyed my photography more, after learning standard skills, and I just want to improve. Real time in real events is daunting and I take my hat off to the pro's who do it.

Thanks for the input Joe and sound advice there.

JoeLewisPhotography

well, as said before, if its for your portfolio, then you ARE getting something out of it. I would also suggest you be clear to them, letting them know they cannot tell anyone you did it for "free" and the "free" thing is a 1 time deal. It also helps if you have them pass your name around.

As for the my daughter on the swing, that was taken quite a while back. I think i was using my D300s at the time with my 17-55 2.8 but im not 100%...that was some time ago. And thank you!

ohkphoto

Snow White
Dave, if you're doing this to build a portfolio, then I would suggest you approach this a little differently. Decide first on what shots you want and suggest to the subjects that you would like to do a session and that you're looking for a specific look. Let them know you won't charge for the session, but that they are welcome to order prints from you. Be sure you have them sign a model release. YOU direct the session, not the subject. This is for your PORTFOLIO and not for a paying client, so you need to be in charge. If you wanted to photograph the horse, then do just that. If you don't want to include the dogs, don't. This might be an opportunity for you to get a paid session.

Once you start doing work for free, it's very hard to get people to understand why you now charge.

Browncoat

Moving this to the business section.

Once you start doing work for free, it's very hard to get people to understand why you now charge.

Joe and Helene are right. You're at the doorstep of earning income doing photography, and you can either score a touchdown or fumble at the goal line. There's a fine line between business and friends, but at the same time, you don't want to be forever labeled as the free photo guy. Ask yourself just how long you are willing to say you're getting something in return because it's building your portfolio?

These sound like proud pet owners. Charge them $50 for some prints, and you'll both walk away with something.

Peter DeMott

I've never did it but here's a link of some poses that I like...Google it..Get some ideas together and pose how you want to do it..

Horse and rider portrait gallery : Peter DeMott Photography

Hi, this is Peter DeMott Photography. I have a post about taking better equine portraits. First thing is that you want to use a long lens between 150 to 300mm. You will be back 20 feet from the subject. This prevents the horse from getting the big head, little butt syndrome. Number two, pick up the Horse shaker app from itunes. When you are ready to shoot, click on the app and it will whinny with real horse sounds. You have a milly-second to capture images with the horse very alert, looking toward you and with their ears perked forward. It helps to have a second person with you to do things to get the horse's attention, but you may not need it if you pick up the app...99¢. Hope that helps and have fun exploring my web site.

pedroj

Hi, this is Peter DeMott Photography. I have a post about taking better equine portraits. First thing is that you want to use a long lens between 150 to 300mm. You will be back 20 feet from the subject. This prevents the horse from getting the big head, little butt syndrome. Number two, pick up the Horse shaker app from itunes. When you are ready to shoot, click on the app and it will whinny with real horse sounds. You have a milly-second to capture images with the horse very alert, looking toward you and with their ears perked forward. It helps to have a second person with you to do things to get the horse's attention, but you may not need it if you pick up the app...99¢. Hope that helps and have fun exploring my web site.

Hi peter some nice poses in the link...I Googled horse and owner and had a look and liked what I saw...

Welcome to the site Peter...

Browncoat

Way to keep an eye on who's linking to your site, Peter! Props to the small business owner w/ tech savvy!

Just noticed you're from Ohio too!

Last edited:

DaveW

I can understand the concerns about selling myself and photography short by doing things for free, but don't worry about that guys, I would never do that.

The album I put together was a present because I know the couple and their friends. People were giving gifts and I think (sounding big headed here) I gave them the best present. I used a quality outside printing service and am very happy with the results. They are showing everyone and its something they treasure.
What made it more special was they had never had a family photo done, (mom, dad, son, daughter, and the grand children) and this album will always see daylight.

On the back of that, I have been asked to do some other family stuff for someone else, and the Pet project. They are looking to have some of them on the wall so whatever happens they will not be free. Technically, I can boast now that I am a semi pro purely by distinction of charging. But I know my limitations and am still on the bottom rung of a learning curve.

While I'm not really making anything out of it so to speak, I'm not loosing anything either. Experience in real time, plus some keepers for a portfolio, I think is a good start.

I like to think I am contributing to photographers who do this full time by showing why its better to get a photographer rather than leave things to Uncle Fred and his auto mode everything camera.