My D3100 and how I ended up with it.

TedG954

I had been using a D40X for a few years and it served me well. I decided that I wanted a video option and image improvement would be a nice bonus.

I researched for a while and it came down to three choices: D3100; D5100; or the new D3200. I'm an amateur and I take pictures for fun, so my needs are simple. I was about to settle on a D5100 when I read an ad on Craigslist.

Someone was selling a NIB, never opened, D3100 kit for $425. The guy said it was a wedding gift and never taken out of the box. He said he'd let it go for $375 if I was a serious buyer. I asked for a meeting place and told him I was on my way. Before I left the house, I listed my D40X, with an extra battery, on eBay for $375 plus shipping.

Well, I met the guy at McDonalds and the D3100 was exactly as described. It had never been outside the box. I paid him and headed home. When I got home, I had an email telling me that my D40X was sold. That was fast!

Since getting the D3100 (with the VR lens that the D40X didn't have) I purchased a 35mm-1.8 Nikkor lens and an extra battery. I already had a 55-200 VR Nikon lens, so I'm set with my trio for now.

The more I've read on this forum, the more confident I am in the choice I made. The D3100 is far more capable than my skills at this time, and I'm pleased with the results I have so far. More pixels won't make me a better photographer.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for the tips!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
That's an expensive wedding gift for someone that doesn't want it. Oh well, good news for you! :)

gav329

That's a great story Ted, really good too is the fact you got a new Nikon for old as a swap, not including the postage. What a great deal!!

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedG954

That's a great story Ted, really good too is the fact you got a new Nikon for old as a swap, not including the postage. What a great deal!!
Gav

Yep. And the D40X paid for their shipping, so it was a totally even swap. I was really fortunate.
Even a blind acorn finds a squirrel once in a while.