Bargain?

mulloar

So I have been looking for a decent payable tripod for a bit and stumbled across this OPTEKA CFT80 which the price of has been lowered from $300 to $100.

Amazon.com: Opteka CFT80 65" 8x Carbon Fiber Tripod with TH60 Quick Release Ball Head (18.75" folded): Camera & Photo

Though I have also seen others around this price, let me line them up.

Amazon.com: Ravelli Professional 65" Carbon Fiber 3 Axis Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Polaroid 65" Pro Carbon Fiber Tripod With Removeable Ballhead Includes Deluxe Tripod Carrying Case For Digital Cameras & Camcorders: Camera & Photo

there are some others as well. I know I won't be getting a Gitzo quality tripod but I can't afford more at this time.
IF you had to choose one of these, which one would it be ?

PS.: my current gear consists of a D5100, 18-55mm and a 35mm prime with a 55-300mm possibly being bought soon.

Last edited:

fotojack

Just take some caution since the other reviewers gave it a one star due to poor quality. You get what you pay for.

Try the Feisol or Manfrotto CF tripods and ball head. You need to consider your height as well. Around $500 will get you a decent set.

Amazon.com: Feisol Classic CT-3401 Rapid 4-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod with Metal Twist Locks: Electronics

Amazon.com: Feisol CB-40D Ball Head with Release Plate QP-144750: Camera & Photo

Glenn...did you notice he said he couldn't afford an expensive tripod? Why would you even suggest a $500 tripod? That would be way out of his budget, based on his original post.

Mulloar, get the best one you CAN afford. Just make sure it's capable of supporting your camera and the biggest lens you're going to use. And make sure it's a good stable, sturdy one.

Yes, you get what you pay for, but when you can't get the top of the line, compromises must be made.

That Ravelli looks like a good deal to me.

Last edited:

mulloar

The amount of available tripods just confuses me, really. I keep somewhat deciding on one, only to find myself doubting my choice and start looking again, heh. Definitely not easy.

Yeah, I definitely don't have that budget right now, I just mostly want a tripod for my trip around asia after which I will save for a better one.

SLIK is really popular here in Japan so I'm starting to think I should just stick with one of those. There were actually 2 newly released that haven't made it to the US market yet. The Travelek & Flat, I might just go with one of those considering it has a really decent ballhead attached to it.

Browncoat

I couldn't in good conscience recommend any of those. If you're on a budget, you don't have to settle for wannabes. You can get one of the best brands in the biz, and the setup is around $150. Check these out:

Manfrotto 494RC2
$57
Supports 9lbs. The regular 494 version is about $10 cheaper.

Manfrotto 190XDB
$87 - After $25 mail in rebate
Supports 11lbs.

This will support what you have now, but I wouldn't try it with that planned 300mm lens attached.

pedroj

I'm not keen on ball heads I prefer the three way tilt type..Allows me to tilt up/down and turn when doing sports..

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Glenn...did you notice he said he couldn't afford an expensive tripod? Why would you even suggest a $500 tripod? That would be way out of his budget, based on his original post.

Mulloar, get the best one you CAN afford. Just make sure it's capable of supporting your camera and the biggest lens you're going to use. And make sure it's a good stable, sturdy one.

Yes, you get what you pay for, but when you can't get the top of the line, compromises must be made.

That Ravelli looks like a good deal to me.

I didn't see any dollar limit on his post but I do agree that you get what you pay for.

In most cases, "the poor man pays twice". I'd rather save and just buy it right the first time. Buy it once concept and not to compromise on something that will support a good hefty amount of investment. Just my two cents.

AC016

I have an Optex and have had it since 2006. I do not remember what i paid for it, but it was under $100. Works for me and holds my camera just fine. It's lightweight (aluminium i beleive) and collapses to about 3 feet in length.

mulloar

So in your guy's opinion I would be better off getting an expensive tripod now and wait with the 55-300mm I was thinking about? or start with a cheaper tripod and buy the 55-300mm ?
Dilemma...

Browncoat

So in your guy's opinion I would be better off getting an expensive tripod now and wait with the 55-300mm I was thinking about? or start with a cheaper tripod and buy the 55-300mm ?
Dilemma...

Glenn is right: the poor may pays twice. You'll probably spend the money anyway on a quality setup in the long run. One thing is certain, I would not use that 55-300mm with a cheap tripod. That's just begging for a junked lens when the tripod falls over, and it will. It's not a matter of if, but when.

You will get a lot more use out of that zoom lens than you will a tripod, in my opinion. You're pretty limited on range with your current lenses, and adding a 300mm will open up a ton of options for you. If it were me, I'd get the lens, then save up for a good tripod that can support all your equipment.

Tripods are great when you need them, but see limited use depending on what you shoot. Personally, I use my monopod far more often because it's much more portable and doubles as a whacking stick for when the fans come begging for autographs.

mulloar

So I did some more questioning of Japanese photographers on the SLIK brand as they seem to be crazy about it out here as I previously mentioned.
They all seemed to trust even the cheaper SLIK equipment which is why I decided to go for the travelek 255 (Japan only) which is made out of alumium.

I received the tripod through amazon in a couple of days and I have to say I am really impressed with the stability of the whole and the quality of the ballhead.
It cost me all around a converted $180 so I had the money to buy the 55-300mm lens as well and it holds it with little to no vibration. (although I've been having too much fun with the prime so I'm guilty of not having used it so much)

All in all, It's only been a week so I can't give you guys a trustworthy review of the durability quite yet but I am really pleased so far so I want to thank everyone for the tips !

Now on to take some long exposure shots of the flow of people at Shinsaibashi!