Anyone else experienced this

ccoulson

So, doing a wedding outdoors yesterday. Was Changing my lenses from my 35 1.8 to my 18-105 for some wider angle photos, and when I changed the lens, The 105 wouldnt Auto focus.... So I took it off, and put the 35mm on... It wouldnt auto focus... I had 18 really angry people standing in front of me, in 95 degree weather so I grabbed my backup. I eventually had to take the battery out put it back in , and it started working again..

Has anyone else ever experienced it with this camera. (D7000). It happened a few weeks ago during an engagement session.....I thought it was a fluke.... and that time i changed from my 35mm to 50mm back to 35mm..

I love this camera when its working right, Im the first to defend it (see any other posts i've posted on on this forum)... But lately Its just not been acting right... Ive noticed that the f stop is different Inside the viewfinder than on the top screen when setting my exposure....., So the exposure is never the same in the photos....
If I go from horizontal to vertical shots focusing on the same thing in the same lighting, the camera says one is under exposed and one is overexposed...... and coupled with being with out it for a month for a backfocus issue its just too much.

Im about done with the camera. Its not been dropped. Its treated like a princess, I couldn't love it anymore.... I paid, what is a small fortune for me for this camera and I rely on it. I need it to work... Consistently...and I cant count on it.

I know its a great camera, When its working right... the photos are just outstanding... i just feel that maybe I have a bad copy. and Its really frustrating. So please be patient with me and try to understand my point of view, and suggest what you think i should do..

Please give me your suggestions, and input, and understand my frutstration....

Please note (the lenses WERE on A/F and not manual, focus lock wasn't on, Ive read the Manual, and understanding the Nikon d7000, Ive read understanding exposure, and have been shooting with this camera for nearly a year on a daily basis.)

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've never experienced it but it would be prudent to send your camera to Nikon for an assessment since you use your camera for a living.

ccoulson

I plan on sending the camera in, I just wanted to see if any body else had experienced any of these things and wanted to see if its something Im doing.... I would love any suggestions or thoughts. Thanks Glenn!!

AC016

I beleive the problem could be this: If your camera is on and you take off the lens while it still has the a/f switched on, it may mess things up for the camera when you put a new lens on. Always turn af and vr off and camera off when changing lens. Again, it's jsut a thought and i beleive i read something to this effect in my D5100 manual.

ccoulson

So, Nikon wanted the camera back again. UGH. so I am again, without a camera.... I tested out the theories nothing worked. Hopefully nikon can fix it all this time around.

bluenoser

Banned
Oh boy Courtnie. I'm really sorry to hear about your troubles. I can't imagine your frustration.

I have to believe that yours is unfortunately just a lemon - plain and simple. I hope Nikon can be persuaded to give you another copy of the D7000 and not subject you to the endless cycle of sending it back again and again.

I've been lucky that my D7000 (owned since Oct. 2010) hasn't given me a moment of trouble (except user error!). I really hope that it comes back in proper working order. Please keep us posted.

we have two D7000 and never chnge lenses ( 18-200mm) but have had problems with both where they lock up and wont focus or release ..turn on and off etc ..still trying to work out whats going on ...sems to be intermittant ..any suggestions welcome

ccoulson

James,
I really dont hate this camera, even though Mine has been reaaaallly Junkie. I know that not all of them are, and I know that when working at its best, my 7000 would take lovely photos. But Ive just noticed recently, that Ive been sooo frustrated during all of my shoots, and I quit using the camera for "fun" because it is so frustrating.

I am hoping as well that Nikon will give me another body, but they probably won't. Im fearful to suggest it to them, because I am worried that they will just give me a refurbished one... and it wont be any good either. It just stinks to have paid all of this money, and for it to not work as it should.

I have been using my moms 5100, and I just cant believe how easy it is to get consistent great shots everytime, with beautiful colors.... Because my 7000 has never worked that way. I forgot it didnt have to be stressful to use a camera.

Do you all think I should suggest a new body? I mean this IS the second body that I have gotten, the first one I got just 3 days after I got the 1st one, and now its being sent in on its seonc repair.

If so, how would you go about suggesting it?

Courtnie

Ive changed to the single point non tracking ( and all that junk ) focus in the menu AF-s so we will see if that cures the locking up....Why would you even want to bother with a 35mm lens at a wedding if you have and 18-200.

ccoulson

I already have my camera on single point non tracking, back button focus.
And I was trying to switch my lens but my camera wouldnt accept it... thats why I wrote this post. Lol.

ccoulson

Hi guys,

I FINALLY got my camera back today. Ugh, Im just so unhappy with it. I spent a few hours going back through the menus and resetting things the way that I like them... Here are some things Ive noticed.

It still doesnt seem to be metering correctly, and the photos are VERY noisy at 400 ISO.. Also, Outside in daylight to get a photo correctly exposed I had to put the ISO on 800 at one point!!! AHHH. Crazy.

The photos are just not sharp very dissapointing.
However my 35mm was still programmed in and was fine tuned to -16 from before when i sent it off, and now is fairly good at -2 So I feel like they have worked on the focus mechanism. because that seems better.

I just feel like I have NO control over this camera from one photo to the next.

Also... The box came completely Crushed on one side, luckily the camera was bubble wrapped. and the body cap that I sent on the camera with "Nikon" written on it was not returned to me, and they put some aftermarket body cap on there that I know does not belong to me mine said Nikon. I know I could get a new one but still.... that was mine.. lol

Im so frustrated. I feel like they did not listen to my problems, with the camera because the invoice says they cleaned the camera and adjusted the focusing mirror, nothing about checking the metering system, and nothing about how I couldnt change lenses and focus again without having to remove the battery. I did mention to them that the lens changing issue was intermittent.

I dont even know what to do now. I NEED my camera I had to reschedule 4 photo shoots for people who had been scheduled for months, I really cannot afford to send it off again they had it 2 weeks! I really just want to toss it in the trash......

Do you all have any suggestions.... I am so frustrated with this camera and Nikon because they just made me feel like a number and they did not return all of my stuff to me or look into every issue that I had.

Rick M

Call, Complain ALLOT!, Demand a new body. If that fails, you need to keep sending it back until they get it right. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I think it's all you can do. I've also gotten results with other companies sending letters to the corporate officers instead of the customer service department.