New Camera!

agarber81

I just got my camera. It is D5100. I have 2 lens. I have 18-55mm and 55-300mm. I have the 50mm f/1.8G on order. I take a lot of family pictures, animals, Sea life, and landscape. I do not have a big budget but what would be the next lens for me to get or should I get a flash? I am loving and not sure were to go now! Please help me out!

Phillydog1958

Welcome aboard. You've got the full range of focal length covered. Plus, you have a 50mm on order. You could get a tripod or flash unit, but I'm not sure which to recommend. It's your call. Go with what you think you need to improve your performance.

AC016

Welcome! Congrats on your new purchase. Please enjoy:) Mmmmm, what's next??? Well, you seem to have enough lenses for now. If i were you, get out there and put all three lenses through their paces. I would not crack open your wallet until you know what you can - or can't - do with what you currently have. One thing you can invest in with no worries, would be a tripod. Happy shooting:)

JoeLewisPhotography

It depends on what you photograph the most. If it is portraits, I would say a flash. They come in handy, however they can be just as much of a learning curve as the camera itself. If it is lanscapes and scenery, a tripod makes more sense. As for lenses, you have what you need for now as far as typical focal lenths go, HOWEVER, if you do lots of lanscapes, a sigma 10-20 ultra wide angle might be a nice addition to your bag.

RickSawThat

I'd like to give a shout out to my D5100 :)

Just got back from a trip for 8 days. Started my days about 7am and went till dark with camera at my side all day everyday. Shot about 350 pics a day with the setting at JPEG Fine and RAW captures. Battery lasted all day every day from charging overnight. Had a 2nd battery and never used it.

Camera was exposed to heat, cold and rain and never skipped a beat!!!

Here is a link to some pics from the trip (used 18-200mm and 70-300mm 4.5 VR)

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

fotojack

Ya know, Rick....I've said this before and I'll keep saying it........your black and whites are AWESOME! Composition, lighting.....spot on! You could make a career out of your style of photography. Nothing too shabby about your colours, too, but it's the black and whites that always grab my attention. Great work, bud. Glad ya had a good 8 day vacation. :)

RickSawThat

Thanks Jack!

I like the B&W's better too ;) Just feel obligated to show the colors every now and then.... But the B&W now that's where I have fun... You go to a super colorful place like Peru and the challenge and fun is how do you show the "color", emotions, character and compress it to shades of black, white and grey.

ZekeMenuar

I just got my camera. It is D5100. I have 2 lens. I have 18-55mm and 55-300mm. I have the 50mm f/1.8G on order. I take a lot of family pictures, animals, Sea life, and landscape. I do not have a big budget but what would be the next lens for me to get or should I get a flash? I am loving and not sure were to go now! Please help me out!

I'd get a tripod, ND filters and a circular polarizer.

RickSawThat

The trip is totally worth it. Most of Peru is super affordable although Machu Picchu is a bit expensive with the train ride and entrance fees. Still worth every penny. Thanks for the compliments on the pictures.

eurotrash

I would definitely spend that money on a nice flash. You've pretty much got all your lenses covered for the time being. Always evaluate and then buy what you NEED, not what you WANT. Welcome to the crowd! Post up some photos in your gallery or start a 365 project on the forums!

§am

You've got the wide and zoom ranges covered, and a prime chucked in there too...
I'd go for a flash over a tripod at this stage - sounds like you're not entirely sure what you want to do with your photography life (so to speak), so better to have a flash you can use more often than a tripod which you might not use :)