D300s or D7000? Which to Buy - Finally

T.Behuniak

So, most of you have seen my D90 v D7000 post and D300 v D300s post in the sections in the Forum. And you are probably getting sick of me posting everywhere like this, hahaha but i promise this is the last one. I finally narrowed it down to the D300s in the D300 v D300s post and the D7000 in the D90 v D7000 post. Now, i don't know which to choose between the D7000. I kind of am leaning towards the D300s, but i just will feel better with my decision when i get more clarification. On youtube and Google, the reviews i see are split down the middle. Some say go with the D7000 because the D300s is outdated and the D7000 has much better specs. But, a lot of reviews about the D7000 i have read talked about its many autofocusing issues and backfocusing problems. Everything i've read about the D300s has been positive! I also want a camera that will last me a very long time and one that i don't have to worry about with issues - and the D300s seems like the one to choose. Any further advice, or should i just stick with my D300s decision? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited:

amonamarth

...and you don't want to consider the supposedly new Nikon D600, which is supposedly coming out soon? It's a full frame ...

There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Browncoat

The D7000 has newer technology, yes. But the D300s is still the better camera. You are comparing the high end consumer model to the low end pro model. One of the major advantages of the D300s is durability. It's fully sealed and has magnesium parts, whereas the D7000 is plastic. I can shoot w/ my D300s in the pouring rain without fear. I wouldn't even attempt that with a D7000. In addition, the D300s:
  • Has 51 autofocus points vs. 39
  • Shoots faster (especially w/ upgraded grip and batteries)
  • Less shutter lag
The best thing for you to do is go to a real camera store (not Wal Mart) and handle both models yourself. Reading about them on internet forums can only get you so far. The real difference is when you have them in your hands.

veldy

So, most of you have seen my D90 v D7000 post and D300 v D300s post in the sections in the Forum. And you are probably getting sick of me posting everywhere like this, hahaha but i promise this is the last one. I finally narrowed it down to the D300s in the D300 v D300s post and the D7000 in the D90 v D7000 post. Now, i don't know which to choose between the D7000. I kind of am leaning towards the D300s, but i just will feel better with my decision when i get more clarification. On youtube and Google, the reviews i see are split down the middle. Some say go with the D7000 because the D300s is outdated and the D7000 has much better specs. But, a lot of reviews about the D7000 i have read talked about its many autofocusing issues and backfocusing problems. Everything i've read about the D300s has been positive! I also want a camera that will last me a very long time and one that i don't have to worry about with issues - and the D300s seems like the one to choose. Any further advice, or should i just stick with my D300s decision? Thanks in advance!!!

I bought the D7000 as an upgrade from my D200 and had similar concerns about losing quality and potential. As it turns out my concerns were not well founded; the camera is slightly lighter weight, far better imaging and exposure capabilities, far better auto-focus compared to the D200 (D300 is slightly better in theory) and I simply love it! Oddly, the only thing I miss is larger bracketing, but it is made up in part by the better sensor and dynamic range.

Geoffc

I do hope you enjoy the 7000 however I would dispute the better sensor comment. At the time I bought a 7000 last year my wife already had the D300 for a few years so I knew what it was like. After a week I went back to the shop and paid the difference to get a 300s. All the figures that dragged me towards the 7000 didn't do anything when I actually took pictures. That said the 7000 is a great camera and most owners love it, I just had the disadvantage of several years seeing what my wife's 300 could do.

Incidentally I currently have a 700FX on loan and wouldn't swap my 300s for it let alone pay money to upgrade. The loss of crop yields worse results IMHO.

I guess my point is, if you like what it produces that's all that counts and I'm sure just as many people would have an opposing viewpoint to mine.

johncook

i've seen your threads on various D90 vs D7000, D300 vs D300s, D300s vs D7000.

if you ask someone that owns any of the above which is best, they will most likely say the one that they own, because they bought it and have used it, got used to it and know how to get good results out of it!

each has its own plus points, be it price, newer technology, build quality, fps etc... which is best? depends what features are important to you. are you a sports photographer, a portrait photographer, wildlife photographer or a general jack of all trades photographer?

I'm not meaning to be funny but how much do you know about taking photos? Because you asked about manual modes and programmed modes. I bought a good book which explained all the basics of things like ISO, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, lenses, MP, sensors, depth of field, lighting, lenses, exposure, metering, filters, photo composition etc.. and I practiced with an old Canon 300D with a cheap kit lens but still got some nice results.

I got my head around a lot of the various settings and thats why I always shoot in full manual mode. I'm not saying thats the way everyone should do things, but its the way I like to do things to make sure I am maximising all the settings I understand. Sometimes there is a good article in a photography magasine that explains something like histograms or white balance and it helps me take better pictures and understand what I am doing more. I feel really satisfied when it all comes together and I've taken some great photos for my family at events of my nephews and neice that my parents or brother and sister really loved, and that's really nice for them to have and print and keep as a memory of that day.

I bought what best suited my needs after reading numerous magasine reviews and watching hours of youtube reviews of various cameras. Would I think a D300s is better than my D7000?, probably not, but it has features which are better, and others which arent as good.

its great to get other peoples opinions on which is the best camera / car / laptop etc... or whatever you buy, but the most important opinion should be yours. what you find the best.

in my opinion unless you know what you are doing and how to take a good picture in low light, bright light, and how to adjust ISO / aperture / shutter speed / WB / how to compose a shot etc.. a D300s or a D7000 / D90 is probably wasted on you. it doesnt matter if you have a D3s or a D4, if you dont understand the basics, you will struggle to take good photos.

So I'd ask yourself honestly how good you are and how much you want to learn / improve, and then choose a camera that suits you. Have a good read about them all, watch the you tube videos, go to the shop and have a play with them, then go and think about it again for a while and make your mind up.

I'd love an FX camera, i'm so curious to see what having a full frame sensor could do for low light photography. (I might hire a D700 for a weekend sometime just to see what its like and run some of my own controlled back to back tests with my D7000) I might do that and find that I prefer the D7000, but that doesnt mean the D7000 is better than the D700.

I could go out and buy an FX camera tomorrow if I wanted, but I would feel like Ive absolutely wasted the D7000 because I'm on a learning curve and can learn a lot with the equipment I've got so I wont buy one until I feel like my skills have exceeded the equipment and I think that could take a long time!

A D90, D7000 or a D300/D300s are all great cameras, all DX, all capable of taking awesome pictures, I am confident I would take good pictures with anyone of them once I got used to them. There is a price difference, thats a simple place to start for you. But you could get to an advanced level with a D90 and be ready to get the most out of an FX camera, but you would still likely prefer the D90 or whatever DX camera for certain situations over an FX camera.

just some food for thought! :)

Last edited:

T.Behuniak

Amonamarth: I would think about the D600, but I like the crop sensor for zooms, and i dont really know it depends how good it is compared to other cameras when it comes out. Also if its even worth it. By the time i have the money, it will probably be out so we will see, but probably not

T.Behuniak

The D7000 has newer technology, yes. But the D300s is still the better camera. You are comparing the high end consumer model to the low end pro model. One of the major advantages of the D300s is durability. It's fully sealed and has magnesium parts, whereas the D7000 is plastic. I can shoot w/ my D300s in the pouring rain without fear. I wouldn't even attempt that with a D7000. In addition, the D300s:
  • Has 51 autofocus points vs. 39
  • Shoots faster (especially w/ upgraded grip and batteries)
  • Less shutter lag
The best thing for you to do is go to a real camera store (not Wal Mart) and handle both models yourself. Reading about them on internet forums can only get you so far. The real difference is when you have them in your hands.

I definately want to go to a camera store and try them out, and yea i know its different looking at them on the internet than holding it. I am going to do that when i'm closer to the money total for both cameras, since they are both around the same priceish.

amonamarth

I spent 3 months reading, handling, testing between 300s and D7000; to be honest, it was painful, I didn't really know which one to pick. At the end, three things steered me towards the D7000:
1) D7K body was about $500 cheaper.
2) 300s had a better built frame, but the 'non-pro' usage I was planning, didn't really demand it.
3) D7K has a higher sensor resolution; even though this really didn't turn into a huge factor.

Browncoat

We all have a soft spot for the camera that we own. You'll find that a lot of these vs. type threads are full of people being mildly offended by someone else saying that one is better than the other. I'll admit that it's hard to be unbiased here, considering that I am a D300s owner. That said...

The D300s is a "mini-version" of the D3. D300s vs. D3x is a more accurate comparison than D300s vs. D7000, because the difference is that significant. The D7000 is a fine camera, and fills a certain niche. On paper, it has some better specs and both cameras are tools for the same job. The D300s is a Swiss Army Knife, whereas the D7000 is just a switchblade.

pedroj

I feel you are going to be asking..Which to buy D300s or D700 or D800 or similar questions To this...

I didn't know any one could be so indecisive....

T.Behuniak

Haha no do not worry i will not ask that question. I mainly was going to ask the question d7000 v d300s but i kind of was beating around the bush just to make sure my choices were well thought out. I just want to make sure i won't regret my decision because i want this next camera to last a long time...

AntrimHills

I've just bought a D7000. If finances weren't an object, I would have waited and got the D600; but I did have a budget and the D7000 ticked all the right boxes, bar the full frame one. Too soon to give a full breakdown on what I think, but so far I'm very impressed.