Macro flash

blueiron

A number of people are not enthusiastic about the Nikon R1/R1C1 macro flash. Does anyone have a recommendation for a ring flash unit with decent 360 degree light saturation?

jengajoh

I am bumping this thread because now I have a question. Does anyone use a macro flash ring, and have a recommendation on one? I am looking at an inexpensive one here.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I am bumping this thread because now I have a question. Does anyone use a macro flash ring, and have a recommendation on one? I am looking at an inexpensive one here.

Not too sure about this one Jen. If you read carefully, it says LED lights. I suspect that it's just that, LED lights in a ring that simulates a flash. Not so sure about the flash function. The price seems way too low to be a electronic flash. I would stay away from this one if I were you.

Browncoat

I agree with Marcel...probably in your best interest to stay away from this one, Jen. Macro ring flashes ain't cheap, unfortunately. At least a decent one that actually works correctly that you will be happy with. The good ones cost upwards of $300, and can be $600 or more. I've read many good things about the Sigma EM-140, but it's nearly $400! The Strobist recommended Ray Flash is about $200.

If you're handy with tools, there are a few DIY tutorials out there.

pforsell

LEDs don't have enough power to actually light anything, by several orders of magnitude. The gizmo is worse than utterly useless. The Ray Flash is just a plastic fantastic reflector that sticks to the front of an existing speedlite. Flimsy, grossly overpriced, not really usable in the field, but I have one and the light quality is not too bad.

Browncoat

LEDs don't have enough power to actually light anything, by several orders of magnitude.
Yeah, my biggest concern with the $40 one is that in the specs it lists a power of 15GN, which isn't very much at all. It says, "also great for portrait photography" too, LOL. This doodad isn't going to light anything that is more than 2 feet away from the lens.

I dunno, Jen. I think you'll be disappointed with that one, but considering the high-priced alternatives, it might be better than nothing. It's only $40, so you're not betting the farm if it doesn't work for you. I just wouldn't get your hopes up about it taking your macro photography to the next level.

You might want to also take a look at this one, which is $100. It's an actual TTL ring flash with 46GN power, 3x more light than the one above.

Last edited:

jengajoh

That's the thing... I don't want to spend a bunch, and I realize this $40 one is going to be cheaply made, but if it gives off some light it should help a little. Anthony, the one you showed looks much better, I may consider that one instead. Thanks everyone.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
That's the thing... I don't want to spend a bunch, and I realize this $40 one is going to be cheaply made, but if it gives off some light it should help a little. Anthony, the one you showed looks much better, I may consider that one instead. Thanks everyone.

Yes but Jen it said LED… It's not a flash. It's just like taping a few flashlights around your lens… It won't stop motion.
I saw one advertised in Sherbrooke at the photo shop for $200. Guide #45 and it's compatible with TTL metering. It would probably be a better investment. Keep looking but make sure you get a flash, not a flashlight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The last one posted above is an actual flash unit compatible with i-TTL, not just an LED light.

Sorry Anthony, I thought Jen was still talking about the other one. I hadn't gone to the link you posted. That one looks just like the one advertised here in Sherbrooke. There must be quite a bit of generic units that just look alike and maybe all made by the same company. Probably "Linkdelight" :) :) :) ;)