bad file day Nikon Transfer & Capture NX2

crisscross

I have 187 of 189 .nef files taken one day last week in an unusable or corrupted condition.

I used Nikon Transfer 2 to download from D7000 via USB cable and it is set to open Nikon View NX 2.3 after download and delete images on card after transfer….the same as I have done nearly every day for the last 5 years and it worked fine on a further test image later (only I set Transfer NOT to delete after transfer for some reason).

1 of the images is fine and normal (_DSC4933_.NEF)
1 of the images opens in DxO with some scruff at the bottom, but crashes Nikon Capture NX2. (_DSC4938_.NEF)

Some of the images can be persuaded to produce a jpg preview, but not open. Nikon Capture NX 2.3 returns message 'unsupported file format' and other software eg DxO optics and iPhoto similar. CS4 won't touch D7000 nef anyway. In View NX2, the file nos _DSC4932_.NEF to _DSC5154_.NEF appear with NEF icon but no preview.

Question 1 is whether it might be possible to recover the files; they are between 15 and 21MB.

Question 2 is what might have gone wrong to avoid it in future. The download process usually takes long enough for it to be worth doing something else on the computer and normally View NX2 comes to the front when download complete. In this case other actions were so slow that it was not worth trying to do anything else.

The software (apart from CS4) is the latest version and the MacBook pro 15" is running OS 10.6.8 and regularly has "permissions repaired".

I have had a look at lots of image recovery software, but it is either designed to recover from SD card so would not have worked unless used immediately or assumes the file on the computer has been accidentally deleted (and needs working at UNIX level on the whole HD).

If anyone fancies a go, I can put some on my webspace