CF Cards

mike420

What is the max wright speed for the D300s? I am using a 8GB UDMA 300x speed now and if I were to use a 16 GB UDMA 600x speed would I see a difference in the wright speed on the camera end?

Geoffc

Are you having problems with the current write speed? Are you talking video or stills. My understanding is that the faster cards have the biggest impact transferring to the PC and short bursts are handled by the camera buffer. I have a 300s with a sandisk extreme SD and and it's pretty quick, except on 14 bit RAW.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike420

Not having any problems with current speed. shooting in RAW and wanted to know if the camera was capable of handling the newer speeds up to 1000 on some cards.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
You can use the faster ones but you'll see more of an impact downloading. I use an ExpressCard CF reader to download and it is notably faster with the better CF cards.

Bukitimah

Saw this thread and thought I give my own experience. I have a 133X CF and 2 nos of 30 Mb/s CF cards. It is quite clear when you try to view the images you took the speed difference.

mrbeal

It is indicated in your manual but there is a limit as to how fast the camera can write to a card. You can put a 10,000x card in the D300s but the write speed will be limited by the cameras capabilities. In the manual it will state that the fastest write speed is say 233x (just a number) - so any card you use that's faster than that is just not necessary. You will notice the difference in the download speed to the computer using a fast card reader.