D5100 Secure Camera Straps - Will key rings scratch?

Mediaman09

The supplied steal-me Nikon strap is uncomfortable and not anti-theft (easily cut).One popluar solution is something like the PacSafe CarrySafe 100 (see Camera Security Straps - Anti-Theft Straps for Cameras) for which I have seen great reviews. The only concern I read is that the small webbing connectors (from camera to strap) are not theft proof - but an easy suggested workaround is use of a key ring. Will key rings scratch the body over time?? I suppose I can tape the ring to prevent this, but that starts to look a buit tacky.

RickSawThat

I also have the supplied Nikon strap with my D5100. Just before a recent trip to Peru I spray painted the yellow stripe and "steal me I'm a nice Nikon" logo with black paint. At least I got rid of the giant I'm a Nikon branding off the strap. Worked great :)

Mediaman09

I guess there are a few problems with the supplied strap:

-steal me Nikon logo (which you painted)
-cant temporarily secure it on a chair or table
-cuttable strap (security issue)
-comfort (I find it okay under a golf shirt collar, but rough when directly on the neck)

I am looking to solve all these problems.

For now, I went with the key rings (which I wrapped in black tape to avoid potential sctraches) and will go for a PacSafe type strap.

AC016

Well, i think as we all know, any so called "anti-theft" device is only a deterent; for if a thief is determined/good enough, he will get what he wants. If someone is coming up to you that close to cut the strap, it makes me wonder what you will do when someone puts a knife to your throat? Or points a gun at you? No strap in the world will prevent the theft of your camera. Sure, a strap that is steel cable will prevent it from being cut by a good pair of scissors, but think the best deterent is vigilance and a to have a good sense of your surroundings. I have learnt this from being in the Philippines numerous times.

Last edited:

Mediaman09

Well, i think as we all know, any so called "anti-theft" device is only a deterent; for if a thief is determined/good enough, he will get what he wants. If someone is coming up to you that close to cut the strap, it makes me wonder what you will do when someone puts a knife to your throat? Or points a gun at you? No strap in the world will prevent the theft of your camera. ....

Yup - I did not mean not suggest a solution to prevent robbery or murder or a cut throat - sheesh ! I was merely seeking deterrent for the all too common snatch/cut and grab events For those events, no harm in getting a secure strap.

AC016

Yup - I did not mean not suggest a solution to prevent robbery or murder or a cut throat - sheesh ! I was merely seeking deterrent for the all too common snatch/cut and grab events For those events, no harm in getting a secure strap.
lol, yes, i know that you are merely looking for a good deterent. I certainly don't wish you to be in any life threatining situations either. I just feel that the best security device is you being aware of your surroundings. Perhaps you can come up with something that would attach to your belt? That way, if someone does manage to cut the strap, the camera is still attached to you. Just a suggestion and it may be a good deterent as well.

ZekeMenuar

The Nikon strap I received with my D3100 didn't do much for me.

I robbed a sling from one of my AR15's and adapted it for camera use. The sling is made from two inch wide ballistic nylon. The hooks swivel 360 degrees.
I sewed loops made from 1/2" nylon webbing to attach the sling to the camera. Paracord can be used if you can't sew.
There is a small pocket that holds a EN-EL14 battery and two SD cards.
This is a very tough piece of gear.

Amazon carries them for $25.

Sling1-1-1.jpg

Phillydog1958

With your concerns for theft and the reinforced straps that you have, what type of camera bag do you use? Are there any bags out there with a similar technology?

Last edited:

Mediaman09

With your concerns for theft and the reinforced straps that you have, what type of camera bag do you use? Are there any bags out there with a similar technology?

LowePro camera bag but with a Pacsafe camera bag strap (Carrysafe Model 200).

For the camera itself, I plan to use the CarrySafe 100, and clip the strap directly to the camera via keyrings (and lose the small matarial connectors).

Last edited:

Mediaman09

For keyrings, I swapped a few out for some keychains to find a piai as small as possible...but then I remebered I still have my old Pentax 35 mm Super Program (on a shelf for life), so I stole the trapezoid-shaped rings off it and will see if they fit on the 5100.

keyrings.JPG