Well, crap - dropped my camera...

PhotoAV8R

... and it landed on the 18-105mm lens. Busted the UV filter, but I hope no damage to the lens or camera itself. I tried to get the filter ring off, but it's jammed.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on using Nikon (El Segundo, CA) or Nikon-Authorized (Morton Grove, IL) service for the repair?

Clumsy sucks...

gqtuazon

Gear Head
... and it landed on the 18-105mm lens. Busted the UV filter, but I hope no damage to the lens or camera itself. I tried to get the filter ring off, but it's jammed.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on using Nikon (El Segundo, CA) or Nikon-Authorized (Morton Grove, IL) service for the repair?

Clumsy sucks...

My camera fell of the bed before and it broke the UV filter too but the lens was safe. I would use some type of oil / penetrating oil and use a little force with a towel to protect your skin or use a mechanics gloves. It should go out. Nikon El Segundo does a great job but I don't think they'll do something different except use a little muscle.

Phillydog1958

I can relate . . . I dropped my camera directly onto the lens tip, from the bed, also. It snapped a very small piece of the plastic mounting of my kit lens and rendered it unable to mount onto the camera. Since that time, I've decided to buy all metal-mounted lenses. Good luck with the repairs.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Glenn, I had the filter jammed on my 35-70mm lens (someone backed into the tripod and the camera hit the floor lens first. NOBODY could twist that lens off. I ended up having to send it to Nikon --- they had to replace the ring, lens was fine, just needed a good cleaning . . . all that for a mere $250 !

KWJams

Bummer about the accident.
But think about it, if you were a camera repair shop and someone sent you a lens with a stuck filter ring would you have some top secret tool that removes stuck filter rings -- or would you have a pair of channel lock pliers or a small sharp point chisel and a tack hammer with no emotional attachment to the lens to remove it?
Did you try and screw another filter on top of the stuck one to give you better leverage?
Righty-tighty and lefty loosey.

PhotoAV8R

Thanks for the input, everyone.

It looks like the front element is scratched. Also, the dent on the filter ring is pretty severe and it likely goes into the lens itself. Based on Helen's experience of $250 for just removing a filter ring, it would seem that it's not cost effective to have it repaired. It may go on eBay for parts.

Jimmy Buffet was right...

Ruidoso Bill

Sorry to hear bout the lens, must hurt. I would not try to get it of with a dent in the ring. The good news not real expensive to replace. You may want to check your homeowners insurance and see if they will cover it.

PhotoAV8R

Yeah, it smarted. After seeing that the front lens was scratched, I decided to replace the whole thing. HO insurance has a too-high deductible to be of an help.