Hello from Belgium, I mean, Japan.

mulloar

Hello !
I have spent the last weeks researching nothing but photography and have been reading this forum for a while so I decided to post a little introduction.
I'm a belgian citizen currently living in Osaka, Japan.
Been living here for a year but going to be head back to Belgium next month, on which trip I will be stopping in Hong Kong, Bangkok and Delhi.

I've always been interested in good photography but never really took the dive into DSLRs...until now. Finally received my equipment yesterday and I can't wait to go out to take shots.

My equipment currently consists of this, however, I am probably going to be purchasing the 55-300mm and a ND/GND filter before the trip as well, I'm particularly scared I will be feeling the need for a zoom lens on my trip.

Nikon D5100
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G VR + HB-45 hood
AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f1.8G + HB-46 hood
Sandisk SDXC 64GB SDSDX-064G-X46
an extra EN-EL14 Li-ion battery

Going to walk around Osaka and tokyo in the next couple weeks trying it out and trying to feel if I need the zoom lens for now. (Have the money to buy it but living on just VISA with a monthly limit with still flights and hotels to book for the trip) So I would prefer to wait until I am back in belgium if it's not a big loss.

I do have some questions, however. I feel like I have learned a lot of details by researching and reading articles but the downside is I'm scared I might have taken into too much info in a short amount of time which'll lead me to confuse myself in the end.
So I am looking for the information that will do me most good on the trip. After I get home I can slowly go over everything again.

I know there is no easy or fast way to get perfect but does anyone know good books for travel photography I can go through in the next month or so to prepare myself?

Jelle

Phillydog1958

Hello and welcome. I don't know of any travel photography books, but I do know that you can use the internet for a ton of travel photography tips. It sounds like you have a basic knowledge of photographic theory. Perhaps, you would probably need more tips and pointers than you do actual reading. Google "Travel photography tips," "Travel photography photos," etc . . . Also, you might want to try Youtube. Youtube has a wide array of travel photography videos, as well as information on basic photography. Good luck and enjoy your new toy and vacation.

mulloar

I am also thinking of buying a travel tripod since I definitely plan to do a lot of night shots, though considering I'm still starting off, I don't want to spend another fortune on a tripod.

searching for travel tripads I stumbled across this one with only positive reviews.
SLIK CORPORATION - The most copied line of tripods today

Now, I know it's not going to blow me away in quality but what do you guys think?

I was also looking into the JOBY gorilla pod but it seems very limited if you don't have anything to attach it to.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I actually prefer bringing a good tripod with me. I am not a fan of those gorilla tripods but if you really want to go light, it might work for lighter lenses. It might not be stable with the flash, just use some care if you really want to use one.

Take the time in selecting a good ballhead and tripod. They can get very expensive on the high end but worth the investment. It eliminates buying and selling which saves you money if you do it right the first time.

I do some traveling here in Japan but I live further south of Tokyo / Yokohama area.

mulloar

It's definitely not easy on the wallet, heh. One of the only times I wish I had all the money in the world to spend! Considering hong kong is my first stop, it might be a good idea to wait and search there, too.

I'm headed to Tokyo again here soon for a wedding party so I'm looking forward to taking some good shots as to where last time I only had my iPhone :3

AC016

Welcome!! First, i must say that i am jealous that you are going to Japan. I have been before, but it has been a while. Anyhow.... here are some tips i can give you: spare battery, extra memory, tripod, Lenspen, good case to fit your camera and lenses, etc. in, you can be spontaneous or plan your day around what you want to shoot. Also, you may want to bring some ziplocks and silica gel sachets. This is a good way to prevent stuff from getting wet in rain - just check the forecast before you go out. Other than that, in reagards to taking the pictures: take your time in framing the picture, take the picture from different angles and focal lengths.... jsut try different stuff. Trust me, you will not feel out of place using a camera to much in Japan, lol. Have a great trip!

AC016

It's definitely not easy on the wallet, heh. One of the only times I wish I had all the money in the world to spend! Considering hong kong is my first stop, it might be a good idea to wait and search there, too.

I'm headed to Tokyo again here soon for a wedding party so I'm looking forward to taking some good shots as to where last time I only had my iPhone :3

Hong Kong is like camera Mecca! If i remember, i will post some places that you should go to - can not remember them off the top of my head.