Need help figuring out which gear to buy

Vinay Haalgaar

If you had the option to choose only 1 of the last 2 cameras left on this planet and only 1 lens of the last 3 lenses, Which Dslr and which lens would you choose? Everyone's comments, opinions, choices and participation is much appreciated. It'll mean a lot to me:p.

The camera choices:
Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR
Nikon D5100 16.2MP CMOS Digital SLR

The lens choices:
Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR

Last edited by a moderator:

Phillydog1958

Re: God forbid!!! Your entire cams and Equipment vanish today!!!

Simply put: If I had to pick 1 of the 2 cameras and 1 lens, I'd go with the D5100 and the 18-55mm zoom. I'd take the zoom, due to a wider focal range and easier shooting. The D5100 is a great camera with great features.

Last edited:

ZekeMenuar

D3200 and the kit lens

I have a D3100. Not much of a learning curve.

Last edited:

Vinay Haalgaar

Dear philly, ty for the opinion. No offence, I just wanted a pure answer from everyone's own point of view. hence created a scene to get exact answers. I wanted other's choice, if only these options were available. Anyways point taken.

Rick M

I agree with Philly. More features (auto bracketing!) on the D5100 is a must for me. With a crop sensor, you need wider lenses to compensate. The 35 becomes a 52 and that limits your flexibility. The 18-55 is the best choice in my opinion, will cover a greater variety of shooting situations and is a great lens in it's class.

Rick M

more nikonites' opinion please...

To be honest, a bunch more opinions aren't really going to help, although they are all worthy of consideration. I strongly suggest you go to a shop/store and try the 2 primes verses the 18-55. Those 3 lenses all have their own positives and negatives, you must decide how those fit in your shooting style. I think even those who worship primes would not limit themselves to one focal length unless you only shot one specific style/subject.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It really doesn't matter since I have the last "SD" card in the planet...(being sarcastic). :rolleyes: ;)

It's easy to give you an answer but my question will be: What do you intend to take pictures of? Landscape, macro, birds in flight, portrait? Each will often require a specialized lens.

Vinay Haalgaar

To be honest, a bunch more opinions aren't really going to help, although they are all worthy of consideration. I strongly suggest you go to a shop/store and try the 2 primes verses the 18-55. Those 3 lenses all have their own positives and negatives, you must decide how those fit in your shooting style. I think even those who worship primes would not limit themselves to one focal length unless you only shot one specific style/subject.

For me 35mm is the choice to start as I like to start with landscapes, city, surroundings and portraits. Portraits is a little tricky with 35mm as I need to get closer to my subject. I feel 35mm is good enough to start. varying 2 steps forward and backward with crop sensor, I can cover between 30-70mm right? But waiting for Dxomark review of 3200 before I decide on the body. Wanted to check others' opinion on both choices.

Vinay Haalgaar

It really doesn't matter since I have the last "SD" card in the planet...(being sarcastic). :rolleyes: ;)

It's easy to give you an answer but my question will be: What do you intend to take pictures of? Landscape, macro, birds in flight, portrait? Each will often require a specialized lens.

Landscape, Macro, portrait, indoor, people, surroundings... Whats your camera choice?